Ravin R10 vs R20

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Nolan3387, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Nolan3387

Nolan3387

I have the opportunity to get an R20 brand new for $200 more than a new R10. My question to those who have experience with both, is there that big of a difference between the two?
    I have talked to some people who say there is pretty much no difference, and the R20 isn't worth the extra money. I know it shoots 30fps faster, but I've heard that you can't really see a difference unless you are shooting it past 50 yards, and even at that its minimal. Just curious if I should take the deal for the extra $200, or just go with an R10?

Thanks

2. unclecbass

unclecbass

3. DQA

DQA

I've shot both and own a R10, I would go R10.

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Isn't the scope on the 20 quite a bit better? Maybe not $200 better...

5. magnum lure

magnum lure

R10 All day! Have had R10 for 3 years with no issues and have upgrades still with No issues

6. no1huntmaster

no1huntmaster

Consider how many R10 bows are for sale vs the R20. Does this mean anything.

200.00 saving would not be enough for me to go with the r10. Maybe 400.00 or so would do it.

I have both bows now and would likely sell the R10 if the time comes.

Have a few Scorpyds too.

Side by side at 40 yards there is a substantial difference, how much its worth is all in the holder of the cash.

As I get older wiser and fatter, I want the fastest bow shooting the largest cut broad head I can punch though the bullyeys over over. Reason being I am hunting on state land .46 mile back in and would prefer not to even add a few yards to drag distance if i can help it anyway I can.

If i was on private land pulling in in my quad runner my bow choice would likely be differnt.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    jiggin is livin likes this.
  7. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Yeah, 30fps is a pretty noticeable difference. That is the difference between my cousins crossbow and mine, roughly, and you can tell.

I do not have any experience with the Raven though, just because I think the price is ridiculous. But that is personal opinion.

Big Skip likes this.
  8. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I wish none of these crossbow manufacturers bothered to put a scope on them at all. Let me pick my own, don't waste the money.

9. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Not 100% sure they came with these scopes but the ones I have shot had scopes with a velocity adjustment. Set the velocity and the cross hair increments were spot on. Sight in for 20 and the 40 yard dot takes care of itself.

Macs13 likes this.
  10. kappa8

kappa8 Premium Member

Unlikely 30FPS will really be noticeable.

At 30 yards, look at the trivial difference in arrow flight time between 400FPS vs 300FPS:
    90 feet/400FPS = 0.225sec flight time
    90 feet/300FPS = 0.300sec flight time
    Difference is only 0.075 seconds. For 100FPS. Average human eye blink is 100 milliseconds (0.100 seconds).

When I looked at justifying 400FPS bows with $500-700 price premium over 300FPS, the price/performance premium didn't make sense. And that was for a 100FPS difference.

I think this ever crazier chase for FPS is great for sales, but methinks we should spend more time practicing and less money buying.

11. Mark Dale

Mark Dale

In most cases the R-10 at 400fps is more than adequate to kill most game in Michigan, I hunt the thick stuff, that’s why I wanted the narrower bow, easier to get in and out.
    My R-20 has been on the disabled list since Oct 12, spindle bearings shot on one limb.
    upload_2020-10-27_7-53-55.jpeg
    Almost wish I’d had bought an R10 and not the R20, and guys I’m not the only one having this problem above, just stay vigilant.
    The other bad part is Ravin was bought out by velocity-outdoors and believe their support at this time is in disarray, as a week ago I called every half hour to contact with No luck, was playing email tag for almost 2 weeks. Only to be told take it to my closest dealer, this could have already been fixed if they just staffed their phones.
    And don’t get me wrong I love the bow and not trying to bash the brand, but this is peek season rut not far off.
    I can only hope they correct these problems quickly and provide the support that customers expect !!

12. Nolan3387

Nolan3387

Thank you for sharing!
    I ended up going with the R-20, and I wish I would've gone with a 10 or even a used 9. My uncle got a good deal on a used 9 and I think that would've been than enough for me. I couldn't pass up the deal though. I got a brand new R-20 in the box for $600 less than retail. Was able to get the warranty too since it was brand new.
    I will say I had cable issues with it and already had to have a cables replaced. There is just so much tension on the 20, 26, 29.
    As far as your issues, I would recommend calling Ravin directly. I have had to get cable and string and I was told just call them direct. They will mail you the stuff pretty quick, then just take it to a dealer to put on. If you have the bow registered, they will send you the stuff no questions asked.
    I also agree 100% with you about staying vigilant. The best way to describe these bows is like owning a Ferrari. It is high performance and needs alot of detailed maintenance and care to keep up. Once you know what to look for and how to inspect things, they are a great bow to have.

Mark Dale likes this.
  13. Mark Dale

Mark Dale

First off I emailed Ravin on the 9th and they answered back on the 12th wanting pic’s
    That I sent that morning, and when I say I’ve called them repeatedly for days, one day I called every half hour and also sent them my contact info as well as a pic of the serial #, then waited for 7 days for the response of what dealer do I want them to send the parts with new strings.
    And from my understanding Ravin will No longer send replacement parts directly to customers, you must go to a dealer.
    If they staffed the phones like they should this could have been fixed a week or better ago.
    A five minute call, of take it to my local dealer would have had me back up and going

14. hanny76

hanny76

The extra 24 pounds of energy in the R20 is a 15% increase over the R10. Speed is not the only factor but it helps.