Raven matrix or okuma sheffield

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by DeanV, Oct 28, 2006.

1. DeanV

DeanV

The center pin fishing thing had caught my interest (just started river salmon fishing this fall for the first time and am thinking that I just might enjoy steelhead as well). Which reel would you guys recommend, the sheffield or matrix? I am looking for a good, solid reel that performs well enough that I will not feel the need to upgrade. I will probably match it with a custom built (by me) rod, either a rainshadow or st. croix avid 13 ft float rod.

2. quest32a

quest32a Mods

Although I don't own either of them(I have the Rave Eclipse) I have friends that have each of them. I haven't heard a complaint about either. I know the startup on both reels is good, and neither are particularlry cumbersome. My best advice would be to touch each of them and see what feels better. I know that is difficult for around here as there aren't many places that carry Pin reels.

The one experience I have had with Raven when I had some questions about my reel was very positive though. I believe Angling Specialites is the distributor. Quick turnaround times on questions.

3. MPsteelheader

MPsteelheader Guest

felt the raven matrix. it is a good starter reel for the money. the spool diameter is slightly smaller than an okuma sheffield. it doesnt spin as long as some other reels on the market, but that may be because the bearings have to break in like on an islander or mykiss.

i own and love the sheffield. for a reel under 200 bucks you cant beat the startup, wieght, and design of the reel. if you keep it out of the water it will spin with the best custom reels on the market thanks to the german precision bearings that are in the okuma. sometimes you can find sheffields on ebay for a really good deal. i got mine for less than 150 including shipping so keep an eye on ebay.

so in my biased opinion(only because i own the sheffield) id say go with the okuma. it wont let you down.

just my .02,

mark

4. DeanV

DeanV

Do you think the center pin fishing is a good way to start fishing for steelhead and to use for salmon? I am also building an 8 wt fly rod for bass/steelhead/ salmon or whatever elso I feel like using it for. Should I look at a traditional spinning rod for steelhead first or jump right in to the center pinning?

5. TheSteelheadBum

TheSteelheadBum Guest

Just start fishing for Steelhead any way you feel comfortable. It's all about having fun. Personally if the conditions are right and they will actually hit a fly that is my favorite or chucking spinners on a spinning rod can be a blast. Once the water gets cold nothing can beat a Center Pin though...

6. quest32a

quest32a Mods

It will take you a while to become proficent. I started this past spring and am still learning different ways to cast and fight fish. Personally I think the pin is an extremely effective way to catch fish. But with you just starting out learning the water will be the most important thing. And honestly I would start off with a spinning reel and a good drift rod. That way you won't be learning 2 things at once. It took me a few years to become decent at learning water and finding where fish lay. I am still learning and hopefully will be for the rest of my life. But if you add that learning curve along with a new method of fishing that you are not comfortable with you are probably going to struggle quite a bit for the 1st year or two. Where as if you hit the water with a fishing method you are comfortable with you will pick things up quicker and probably catch a few more fish from the start. After that adding a pin to your arsenal will make you that much more of an effective fisherman.

My .02

7. Alpha Buck

Alpha Buck Banned

If you have never float fished, I would start (atleast a few days) with a spinning reel just to get the basics of the drift down. It might be a little tough trying to screw with the spool and learn the basics of fishing a float at the same time. That is just my opinion, I would think it would be easier to pick up with a float reel if you already knew how to fish a float.

8. DeanV

DeanV

Would it work to build the rainshadow or st. croix blank with a all cork handle and sliding rings so that I can start with a spinning reel and switch to the center pin later, or would that handle not work well and the guide spacing be completely different? I am thinking that since it does not seem like the centerpin is a casting machine, the optimal guide spacing for the first butt guide would not be critical like it is for spinning rods.

9. gomer

gomer

Winchester, Virginia & Rockford, MI (Home)
    Yep. In all reality, I don't really think I would catch less steelhead fishing a float on a 13ft rod and spinning reel vs. a 13ft rod and a pin. Sure, you can get a more controlled, longer drift, but trying to learn how to handle a centerpin and how to float fish could be a real cluster#%@&.

As far as handle setup, I am not a big fan of sliding rings, but thats just me. It seems like all my buddies who have sliding ring handles are either cursing because their reel keep sliding off or they end up taping the rings to keep the reel on. If you are going to build a rod and eventually use it for a centerpin, I would put a reel seat on and balance it for a centerpin when you are building it. Again, this is just my opinion. It should handle a spinning reel just fine. With a centerpin reel you are really limited to one place to grip the rod because you have to control the reel. Thus the need for balance, otherwise your wrist will get tired fast. With a spinning reel, you can basically grip the rod anywhere above the reel, where it feels most comfortable.

Going back to your original question as far as the Sheffield vs. the matrix, I personally have never spun a matrix but I do own a sheffield. I also own an Islander as well as a few other pins and to be honest with you, I like using my sheffield almost as well as my Islander, which was twice the price. Okuma also recently came out with a few new colors in the sheffield instead of the standard gold color.

My .02 for what its worth

10. scoot

scoot

Just started pinnin a few days ago. Any secrets to stopping the line twists? My casting is pretty decent until the line wraps around my fingers after a few hours, then it's cluster*&%$ time. I know rerigging and letting the line unravel will do it but is there anything else that can be done?

11. Flyfisher

Flyfisher

Yeah, don't cast off the side of the reel all the time. There are several casts that get the spool revolving and will reduce or eliminate line twist altogether. Unfortunately, they are better shown in person than trying to describe.

12. Flyfisher

Flyfisher

:yeahthat:
    Its a lot easier to learn how to fish first using spinning or spincasting gear. Line control can be extremely challenging with a float reel and a lot of people struggle just learning how to cast.

13. gunner87

gunner87

i would go with the sheffield. i wasn't really impressed with the matrix