Rat problem

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by petronius, Jun 8, 2017.

1. petronius

petronius

I have a problem with a rat. There may be more, but I only see one. I found the SOB is getting in the garage through a hole in the clapboard it chewed.
    What is the best rat poison to use? I don't want to close the hole until I think I killed it.

2. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia

Part of the problem is your wife's bird feeder, get rid of that and the rat will take a hike.

3. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I have always used DECON. Getting rid of the bird feeder, and any other food sources, will help too.

PWood and petronius like this.
  4. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

petronius likes this.
  5. petronius

petronius

The feeder is part of the problem, but I found a few rats in the area before I put the feeder out. There are a couple of dumpsters they liked to get into to. The dumpsters were replaced with taller dumpsters that they can't climb up into.
    I'm thinking I want to leave the feeder up long enough so the rat stays close by so I can kill it. And I can use the feeder to draw in the grackles and take care of the too. I'm feeling vengeful this morning.

6. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    We were fighting them while I-96 was being rebuilt, then my neighbor found a nest under his deck and hired someone who did whack the nest and the tracks in the snow then steadily diminished, but I have no idea what he used to kill them.

The city was zero help which is sad.

7. petronius

petronius

Royal Oak has been battling rats for years, but this problem is new where I live.

8. sparky18181

sparky18181

Get the biggest glue traps,that Lowe s sells. Put two or three of them together on a piece of plywood. Nail them to the plywood. Put some peanut butter in the middle and you should have your rat real,soon. If you don't nail,them to something they will carry the trap away. Good luck hunting

9. Waif

Waif

I prefer traps to poison. Rats die in random places with poison, plus non target risks.
    A cubby set ,or wood box with an acess hole helps focus on rats.
    I cut a hole in a plastic coffee can lid for mice. Keeps the weather and neighbors cats from stealing or tripping traps.

A couple kept working keeps numbers down after initial many sets.
    With a poor acorn crop last year few mice exist.
    Rats need a food source too.

graybeard likes this.
  10. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

If you have 1 you have dozens, Farmers co ops have several kinds of poison, buy a few of each and change types every time its consumed. They get immune fast. Travel routes are best, they are always pissing and follow the same trails normally along walls or other boundries. I use traps too, hit them hard and fast, they will outbreed your efforts.

ridgewalker likes this.
  11. junkman

junkman

Time to declare war.Pull out all the stops and don't give them a break.Hit them with everything you can and don't let up.You can win but it won't be easy.

feedinggrounds likes this.
  12. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

The number one best and first thing should be removing/eliminating any and all food sources. If there's still food there, your odds of winning will be substantially reduced.

13. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Rats USED to be a big problem around Milleville Beach, in Brownstown township. Then the area was badly flooded in 1973 or so. No more rats. It's rather drastic, but it may be worth a try! :D

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  14. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

The original Decon no longer exists, The stuff in the cheese wedge shaped box. I have not tried the new stuff that is in blocks. I bought some other stuff that comes in blocks that are made to split. They mice in the garage will not touch it.

Back when Decon first came out back in the late 40's early 50's, the manager of the public works of Shelby (Not the township, the village in west Michigan) contacted Decon and they suppl ied all the decon needed to rid the town of rats. It did

petronius likes this.
  15. jakeo

jakeo

I changed my whole bird feeding habits after I saw my first one. I only have 1 thistle feeder hanging over concrete to bring in the "prettier" birds and I sweep it daily. I hate rats, mice and snakes..lol.
    I still find one or two every year but the best thing is the big ole fashion rat traps screwed to a 2x4 so you can move it around without it taking off with it. Bacon tied on with a twisty tie works for me.
    BTW...poison killed my neighbors dog after it ate a part of a rat so I quit using that.

petronius likes this.