1. brownitsdown84

brownitsdown84

Some of the bigger fish of the spring, past week has been hot. Rain will do us good as well. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1526179326.086696.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1526179340.080404.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1526179352.571277.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1526179409.890538.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    capper likes this.
  2. brownitsdown84

brownitsdown84

3. brownitsdown84

brownitsdown84

4. capper

capper Premium Member

Those are some beautiful Smallies. Thanks for sharing the pics. Sure makes me homesick - I grew up fishing that river and spent untold hours and happy days wading around in it.
    Just one question - are you catching any Rock Bass while fishing for the Smallies? There used to be lots of big Rock Bass all over that river. In fact - that's mostly what we caught back in the 40's and 50's.

5. brownitsdown84

brownitsdown84

Oh yeah still a lot of big ones in there. They regularly hit my oversized lures and flies when I’m bass and pike fishing. Have no problem swallowing 4 inch tubes!

capper likes this.
  6. capper

capper Premium Member

Thanks for the answer. I wish I didn't live so far away - I would love to fish that river a few more times before I die. I'm in south Georgia and it's a beast of a drive at 16 hrs and with my arthritis I doubt if I could do much wading any more.

7. brownitsdown84

brownitsdown84

You ever make it back out here let me know I’d meet ya wherever I’m catching fish

capper likes this.
  8. capper

capper Premium Member

Thank you- I’ll do that if and when.

9. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

What is the color of that tube you are using? Looks green pumkinish with some purple or maybe it’s just the reflection

10. brownitsdown84

brownitsdown84

Salt and pepper with some purple. Salt and pepper is the best all around color I’ve found for the raisin.

mbirdsley likes this.
  11. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

The Raisin is a MESS right now, high, fast and very muddy. One thing that we really don't need right now is anymore rain.

Nice fish.

12. SL80

SL80

Nice fish. We were doing well on smallies before it started raining. I usually try to wait until the level comes down and it clears up a little before I hit the river. Are you still catching fish in high, muddy water?

13. brownitsdown84

brownitsdown84

Not when it’s like this, raging chocolate milk. But when it gets down to almost normal level I start fishing again. I will say that I have caught plenty of fish on days where the water was probably too high for most people to want to go out. But no not when it’s blown out like right now

14. capper

capper Premium Member

A few posts back - you said that salt and pepper was the best all around tube color you had found for the Raisin. I was just wondering if you had ever tried a black tube or black with red and blue specks. I found that to be absolutely deadly for Smallies in rivers in Maine. The guides said it imitates a Hellgramite.

15. brownitsdown84

brownitsdown84

Yeah I have done well with black and red plenty of times. I throw a lot of white and red. That’s my go to spinnerbait color

capper likes this.