Raisin River

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Raylaser, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Raylaser

Raylaser

Looking for good entry points for wadding on the Raisin for some Summer fishing. Will be using spin gear or fly fishing, info on either options would be great! Not asking for your honey holes, just some decent public access places that you can wade but usually have some decent fishing. Looking for similar options for Huron River too if you have any good public access sites that you like for Summer wadding. Thanks to everyone!

2. Westsidesfury

Westsidesfury Banned

3. Raylaser

Raylaser

Thanks Westside! I read most of that thread while it was being discussed, just wanted some up to date intel on current conditions re: water levels, flow rates and such as well as which access areas might be the best bet based on current catch rates. Will probably be somewhere on the river tomorrow (weather permitting). Definitely wear my warm weather waders in these warmer southern rivers. Do not want to cut my ankle and get God knows what, "bacteria of the day", is floating around in my system!!

Thanks for posting the link back to your original thread. Will go over it again to look for possible sites to hit in the next week or two.

4. Westsidesfury

Westsidesfury Banned

Strip streamers. Clouser minnow style preferred is what many like to do. The Raisin is tricky to wade in spots.

5. Raylaser

Raylaser

Thanks for the additional info. Gonna try to make to there this afternoon after work if all goes as planned. Yesterday spent the afternoon fishing a small pond locally. Nice way to pass the day and fill in some of the gaps during this hot slow stretch of Summer. Attached a few sample pics from the day. 20150817_183524.jpg 20150817_191452.jpg 20150817_192700.jpg

6. Raylaser

Raylaser

Hit the Raisin for a couple hours after work yesterday. Got this nice 14" smallie within the first 30 mins. Got him on a Watermelon Twister Tail and 1/8 oz. jig head. After that a bunch of aggressive smaller fish were eager to bite but nothing of any size. All in all a fun day wadding in the sun! 20150818_171217.jpg

7. Westsidesfury

Westsidesfury Banned

Gotta love those Smallies!

8. Syndicate

Syndicate

Wow looks like you must've had some fun with that smallie

9. owningsky10

owningsky10

image.jpg Their are many large smallies that are in the river. I am trying to learn the river so I can have some fun with my dad and have had much success. Yesterday I pulled a nice pike that I was able to catch a couple pics of

10. owningsky10

owningsky10

View attachment 187941 Their are many large smallies that are in the river. I am trying to learn the river so I can have some fun with my dad and have had much success. Yesterday I pulled a nice pike that I was able to catch a couple pics of

11. Raylaser

Raylaser

Nice looking fish young man! Makes mine look like a minnow, LOL! Glad to see you out there with your dad learning the joy of fishing in the great state of Michigan. Keep at it and make sure you don't let your love for this sport die. It changes over the years as you work and have a family (hopefully those are a ways off for you still). But keep the wave going in your family so this wonderful sport has a new generation of quality guys like you who enjoy it and support it. Kudos to your dad too for getting you involved!!!

owningsky10 likes this.
  12. Raylaser

Raylaser

Hey Syndicate: The funny thing about this guy, I was wadding upstream and walked past his hole (I had already cast to the hole several times before I went that direction and no takers). As I walked past he cut across stream and left a wake on the surface (water was about 2' deep). I set-up about 10' upstream from the hole and cast back to it and 2 casts later he was on! Typical SM, jumping and tugging for all he was worth. Always fun to catch these river smallies (I think they're a bit more muscular than their lake brothers due to swimming in the currents, IMHO).

13. owningsky10

owningsky10

I waded from veterans park all the way to the bridge and only seemed to catch 3-4 inchers on a roster tail. Me and some buddies had a good time watching each other fall as we made our way down. If you guys go sometime and catch some decent fish pm me where you were if you are willing to drop me some information. If not I will try to find the bigger fish my self by wadding different places of the river and if I find any ill be sure to help anyone out.
    Tight lines

14. Syndicate

Syndicate

Yah man that's awesome

15. owningsky10

owningsky10

image.jpg This is another fish I pulled out 3 days ago with a buddie

16. Raylaser

Raylaser

Lots of fun getting ahold of a pike in the summer. Keep at it young man, you have a lifetime of fun ahead of you with this sport!!

PS: Hopefully that guy made it back into the river. Looks like he could grow into a very nice fish once he fattens-up a bit.