rail lube

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by thongg, Apr 7, 2009.

1. thongg

thongg

how often and about how much should you apply and also string wax thanks

2. DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

i use jig a boo on the rail every 20-25 shots or if it doesn't feel slick. i use regular string wax the same or if i see it looks dry. nothing like keeping that string waxed with your fingers.
    don't forget to give a shot of jig a boo to any metal parts also.

3. beervo2

beervo2

It's Jig-A-Loo not boo :lol::lol:

Also if you have a camo finish on your barrel the Jig-A-Loo will eventually take it off....:rant::rant:

4. Lew

Lew

Now that I have my new crossbow, I had the same question and a couple of more. I will look for some Jig-a-loo. Also Ten Point recommends some grease on the cable slide but didn't include any. What should I use ?? Another issue is since crossbow arrows are only 20" they completely bury in my target. That makes them difficult to remove and takes off the fletching. What target do you guys use for crossbows ?? For crossbow arrows, can I use blazer vanes or should I stick with 4" vanes. If 4" vanes what brand works the best ?? Thanks for the help. Lew

5. DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

i hear quite a few guys use blazer vanes with their arrows. as far a a target i use a block,although i have heard that there is a specific crossbow target on the market. someone already posted it in this forum you may wish to use the search mode on this forum.:coolgleam

6. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

We were told last year about Spray Silicon for lube. My dad has been using that with good results.

LEW some use Blazer and swear by them, Some claim blazers hit the scope mount or drag in the bottom of the rail slot. Some use 4" vanes. Since it sounds like your going to refletch try both and see what works better.

I also sent you a PM.

Skinner

7. Non Typical

Non Typical

Rail lube, whatever you use make sure to wipe it off before shooting. Tetra Gun is the best Period. It was made by NASA to lub all the moving parts and have a very high heat point I think to +400 and down to -60 I used this stuff while in Alaska and it works I will be bringing some in, they also have a web site. I also stock Tri Flow a little less money and still a good product. Targets you want one made for the xbow or you will be fishing for your arrows/bolts. Fletching, I use the low profile 2" vanes from Duravane they are also the makers of the new fusion vane. The higher profile will drag the bottom of the rail system on some of the xbows. Strings should be waxed but remember that stuff is in the air and will attach to the sticky wax. When you shoot you might see sparks fly from the stuff that attached to the wax and was metal particles. (metal to metal)
    Pat

8. thongg

thongg

thanks guys i have an Eastman lx500 model it has a camo rubber finish on the limbs and rail will check out eastman web site to see what rail lube to use

9. thongg

thongg

just bought some Xccelerator Wax for my crossbow rep said it works great can use as rail lube and string and cable wax its even made in michigan wow that was a benefit

10. D-BEAVER

D-BEAVER

It's better to use a teflon based oil product than a wax product. I like Ten Points Microlon Precision Oiler.

Every time you cock your bow when using a wax based product, a little bit of the wax rides the string back into the trigger mechanism. Over time this will cause the trigger to gum up.

11. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

And the above is exactly why the people where I got my crossbow said to use a rail lube that dries to a smooth finish not wax. I'll investigate the Microlon ..... thanks for the info.
    ~m~

12. Mac Workz

Mac Workz

Thanks for the 'scoop'!