Radio Traffic

Discussion in 'Cold Water Species Fishing' started by lccpopo494, Aug 19, 2008.

1. lccpopo494

lccpopo494

My question to all with boats is... Can someone who is fairly new to this big lake fishing trust what people are saying on the radio. it seems that each time i'm out I fish where the reports say to and with the same set ups I read about on here. when I get out fishing, especially when traffic is heavy,(combat fishing) I here guys on the radio telling they're killing the fish here and there. how honest are the reports given on the radio. Or are guys trying to break up the pack?

2. King Crawler

King Crawler

Never follow radio reports. :dizzy:
    1. People will lie
    2. They may not know any more about the fishery then you do. The guys that really do have valuable, up to date info and locations are the charter captains. And I can guaranteee you they are not the ones on the radio telling people where they are catching fish.
    3. Create a gameplan before you leave the dock, then stick with it.

3. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

well, it's like the internet....;)
    The short and sweet reports are probably pretty reliable. I usually belt out what I was using, FOW, how far down, along with species. No coordinates...

4. Crowhunter

Crowhunter

I think most of the people I know tell the truth most of the time .Bud

5. kozlov1

kozlov1

I must be an idiot.

I trust people (sportsman) and the information I give is honest. For example. It was freaking windy out at Port Sheldon this morning once you got on the big pond. I think the weather people lied they said 1 foot or less in the nearshore report. Bull sheet...

Yesterday, I caught two small kings in 120 fow (83feet down and 65 feet down) both on moonshine flounder.
    One at 6:00pm and one at 9:30pm

Ed
    sorry no reports lately, just been too windy for me to get out.

6. Falco

Falco

Most of the charter captians are talking to each other by cell phone whenever possible, they try not to give out any particulars over the radio.

A few guys think its funny to give a B.S. report like "We are knocking 'em dead in 220 FOW on orange crush spoons" just to see how many people pick up lines from the 60 FOW area that's been producing all day and go flying out to 220 feet.

7. Priority1

Priority1

Some of the radio chatter cracks me up. "we are at the same spot we were at on Tuesday. They are hitting the same thing we used yesterday". WTH.

Some of these so called sportsman think that radio is a private line. They carry on a 15 minute conversation. Two years ago, on the Saginaw Bay, a person that has his own fishing web site tied up 68 for over 30 minutes straight, giving details of his web site. The radio checks also eat into the air time. I haven't asked for a radio check in three years. The VHF radio is a wonderful tool, but motor mouths spoil it for everyone. Unless there is an emergency a radio conversation should be over in about two minutes. Shut up and fish.:lol: JMHO

8. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Each channel has a designation. Some are for public correspondence, non-commercial, distress, port operations, etc.
    It is a two way radio and meant to be talked on. I enjoy some of the stuff ya hear sometimes. Those that revolve around leadcore problems are usually a hoot :lol:.
    Admittedly some people get a bit carried away and should use one of the lesser monitored channels instead of 68, 69, 71, and 72.
    I'd post the list I have of the channels but right now I am to freakin lazy to! If it is requested I'll post it.

9. smoke73

smoke73

Many do not have them on at all. If they are having a slow day, they don't want there customers to here how someone else is "killing them".

10. fish-on

fish-on

Besides,all fishermen lie except me and you and I'm beginning to wonder about you :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.