close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

radio silence

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by fisherman 2, Nov 11, 2017.

1. HookedUp

HookedUp

A radio is a great safety tool to have on a boat. That's about all there good for.

2. the roofer

the roofer

U still got my #??..on to some huge perch and crappie..

3. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Sure do buddy almost called you today. Was gonna take my yak and hit that one place but wasn’t sure if they were in yet. Went fishing for bass n gills by home instead. I’ll give you a call or text tomorrow

the roofer likes this.
  4. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Nice job out there today bounty in some nasty conditions!

5. ro2

ro2

Dont need to share info on radio. Go to back of boat and net a few fish and the pelicans are all over you

6. auger

auger

Fish at night, no nets. We're on the radio all the time

7. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

In the charter industry, we carried multiple radios. One to monitor channel 16, and talk on another channel (captains only). After that, I monitor channel 16. I get tired of hearing... I got 1, I got 4, 16 back, 24 back, chrome, pink, purple, blah blah blah... I fish to get away from all of that crap. There are days when it sounds like a bunch of school girls carrying on a conversation in the bathroom.

Funny thing, as I turn the radio OFF, I usually remark: "if they spend half as much time fishing as they did talking on the radio or chasing reports, they might actually have some fish in the boat".

Like others have said, I get my kicks out of finding my own fish, my own depths, and my own colors. I do get a kick out of hearing people proudly disclaim their three fish and "they are on em" when the quiet ones are usually sitting back at the dock or the cleaning station.

8. ATKRON65

ATKRON65

I guess things have really changed on the lakes and with attitudes toward others.....when I started fishing walleye in 1980 (LSC) it was never a problem to call any charter captain and ask for advice.....they were always willing to help by giving you some tips......Captain John Minor , Roy Aldous,Hank Bradley, Dan Chimelak...many times those Captains would give "live off the lake reports" usually via Lakeside Tackle Shop.......Lakeside handed out free zone maps....and told you where the fish were.....as Dan would say "stacked in there like cordwood" seems like society has changed...not many willing to help the new guys trying to learn the basics unless you can extract some money from them. Back then there was no internet....today for those that want , you can learn a lot on these sites by just reading the post. If you get tired of hearing the chatter about fish caught , where and what color, perhaps you should either not monitor the radio or maybe find a different line of work . I would NEVER recommend anyone that is not people friendly.

9. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

That was "past tense". We carried as opposed to we carry.

The reason a charter captain gives a report is to keep people away from him. Otherwise, people see 16 rods on a boat leaving harbor and decide they need to follow (often way too close)

And, if you read it, it said that I "monitor" channel 16. The only time I receive local channels is when people are in the area. And that is only to ensure we can convey which side we a trolling.

I am no longer a captain. Why you might ask? Couldn't stomach a lot of the people.

10. WalleyeWiz

WalleyeWiz

Freely share any info I have when getting out. Have gotten a lot of slack in the past from members here but the ignore feature works great.
    Have no problem helping people out weather it's here or on the lake while fishing.
    Chartered for years and helped all that time as well. Plenty of fish in the lake for all to enjoy. .

Dwayne

11. bounty hunter

bounty hunter

No the charter guys never were on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

12. iFishy

iFishy Premium Member

The older analog radios can be fitted with an encryption chip. If you hear a brief bit of garbled garbage - thats them. When I bought the big boat, that old radio was the 1 piece of fixed equipment he removed. I asked why and he explained... He certainly could have been feeding me a line, but thats the story :)

For the record on channels, BB is 68, Huron is 79 and I think the reefs west of islands are 72 - but I have a scan feature so I pick up all conversations :)

WalleyeWiz likes this.
  13. jumbojake

jumbojake

I think de beginning of yur post captain says it all dare;)things have really changed on de lakes.socail media is a common fash shut down factor.that didn't occur back in de 80,s.i worked at lakeside fashin shop fur 3 years when I was young.fashed some hot bites with captain Dan hell of a captain,awsome gent.but I will tell you this ,weather we were on simcoe pounden whales.lsc we kept in tight circle.de stacked like cordwood was de after we hammerd dem eh;)I only find my own fash now and days.you could give me hot numbers,tell me yur pounden dem on de old radio.ill look de other way,find some quiet fash to sit on;)I've noticed as well radio chatter gets gents second guessing dare selves.maybe not doing what dey would normally do fur success.i understand de buddy system on big water;)esp erie but my goal will and always shall be to find my own fash,crack my own color codes,speeds etc.so much of a rush to find yur own fash imo.chances are when ya do, dey will be much bigger and more abundant in size;) maybe 2 fur de wall eh.

14. Gradyfish

Gradyfish

We are living at a time that everyone wants instant gratification, a lot of people don’t want to learn how to find fish or catch fish, they just go out and expect a cooler full every trip.
    I help anyone that asks me how to find fish or methods used to catch fish, but I refuse to just post on social media or over my vhf the location I or my friends have been having success, it is not fair to the people that have found those fish and have been fishing that spot.
    If someone thinks that makes me a bad person that is fine, because I fish with a lot of good guys and they would be really upset with me for bringing a lot of lazy inconsiderate people to these spots. If you think that doesn’t happen all I can say is you better wake up, it happens all the time, just look at camp Perry and Stony point for two quick examples or take a quick trip to Lakeside Ohio right now, many of the locals believe it could be shut down any day.
    My 2 cents, like it or not. No matter what your view on this matter is you are going to piss someone off and I choose to piss off the lazy guys that I don’t consider sportsmen anyway.

Gradyfish

15. MiketheElder

MiketheElder

Jake, it's not cute anymore. Too hard to read.

Ron Evilsizer, JAA, Fishndude and 2 others like this.