Quickest way back to a recession

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by walleyerick, Jun 6, 2014.

1. walleyerick

walleyerick

$4.00+ a gallon for gas again!!!!! Already dialing back trips up North this month because of it.

2. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

That kills the mom and pop shops here in the NLP. My household doesn't depend on the tourist dollar, but I know many that do. There's only one Nov. 15 a year (people come regardless of gas prices that day) and that's not enough to keep a restaurant or sporting goods store open.

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

If you click on "10 years" you can see the pattern I was looking at.

I think it would be pretty easy to make the case that the prices have been somewhat steady the past 4 years. Nationally, 50 cents lower than the all time high in the summer of '08 when we were in The Great Recession.

L & O

4. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Going north and back, doing some side trips and around town we can go thru 50 gallons of gas on a weekend.

That being said and going to extreme here, when gas was at $3.50 a gallon I'd spend $175.00 on gas. Today at $4.00 a gallon that same 50 gallons will cost me $200.00, the $25.00 extra it will cost me is not keeping me home, I have a lot of other things that have kept me from going north of late but the cost of gas is not one of them. :yikes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. john warren

john warren

:fish:on a side note,,, gas at costco is usually about 30 cents or better cheaper then even the discount places.my wife charges it on her costco credit card of some kind and pays it off right away , getting another discount in the process. with a 40 gallon tank on my truck, and her 24 gallon tank. it only took a short time to more then pay for the costco membership. if one is on your way too and from work like it is for us,, well worth it. one of the few really good deals at costco:fish:

6. ih772

ih772

This is what I tell the guys at work too.

If $25 is keeping someone from going up north, they couldn't afford it and shouldn't have been going in the first place.

7. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Never a truer statement has been said! I can always cut back a bit to make up the difference, just drink the cheap stuff and only order pizza from Buccilli's one night instead of two! :lol:

8. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

Not the case for me....I just don't want to make those distributors any richer.

Not sure if this is true but on the news last night they said MI was .30 higher per gallon than the national average. I say its the refiners and distributors that are raking us over the coals. I will not give those greedy POS one more penney then I have to. I am sure they don't care. We cut our driving back by 10-20% and they still make the same profit. Kicker is they sell less product to make the same amount of cash. It would be like us taking every Friday off of work around noon and getting the same check each week.

9. DanSS26

DanSS26 Premium Member

That $25 will not keep me home, but it is $25 I will not spend at a local business up there.

10. Jimbos

Jimbos Banned

Screw the gas prices, I'm going to go every two weeks from late March to late November no matter what it costs. I don't even pay attention. I'll jiggle expenses where I have to and don't worry about it.

The higher the prices go, the less tourists there will be clogging the lanes in front of me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

11. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Both of you pretty much sum it up. Even for a years worth of driving (12,000 miles) @ $4 vs. say $3.25 it is just over $500 for me @ 16 mpg.

Sure don't like it but thats just the way it is. We're getting gouged, no ifs ands or buts.....

12. PerchOnly

PerchOnly

And that's the problem. The $25 you mention was $100 10 years ago and the problem is the businesses that the money is not going to. The mom and pop shops, the larger stores and all the in between. We're spending our money on gas vs items, housing, etc. It is not being spread amongst a lot of people, but only a few.

13. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

The big problem is with the folks who were not able to work the 30 and out plan, or who have a reg blue collar job in today's market. Or heck, a white collar job but that job is the only income...

These are the people who do not always have an extra 25 bucks a week (100 bucks/month)

I also thought the same thing about the price of gas. Nobody is making more money than in 2008, so I can't see 4 bucks a gallon helping anything.

B

14. Spawn Tosser

Spawn Tosser

The free market at work. If you don't like the price don't buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

15. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Yep, your keeping it real!

What about the guys who's wage increases were locked around yr 2000 and there were many. When the big 3 turds demanded their suppliers to give product price cuts of 6% a year over 6 years starting late 90s; at a time when raw material cost skyrockets, then demand one million dollar rebates anually for allowing us to do business with them, it locked wages. And, in some cases brought wages down 15%. Those product price cuts and rebates didn't come from thin air. Lol The real kick to the groin was health insurance cost quadrupling right along with gas prices over this same timeframe. The only jobs I seen with cost of living increases at that time were welfare jobs, state jobs, etc.

That nearly quadrupling of gas price led many to walk from those mortgages. The only thing irresponsible about the mortgage crises was the greed that caused it. And that greed wasn't the people who took out the mortgage or even those who administered these mortgages.

As for me, I'm making more than in 08 with less than quarter of the mortgage, twice the house, twice the out buildings with 7 times the acreage I had in 08 :D and I would rather throw that $25 in the bonfire and sit home than give it to the oil cartel. I take that back, I'll buy more foodplot seed, evergreens, home improvement tools or maybe gardening tools with that $25.

Free market at work.:D

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014