Quick story

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by StevenJ, Oct 25, 2020.

1. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

I didn't read any of the live from the stand stories. I wasn't on stand.

And I haven't been bow hunting the last couple years.

I've put proxies to work. I like to do deer habitat. A lot.

Back in 2009, it was a Ted Nugent free-for-all going around with in-real-life MSF buddies getting up to speed on learning and forming deer habitat. And then I relaxed a bit or two and carved out some habitat.

My daughter's husband, my son in law (a perfect son-in-law, by the way...) is one grateful guy to get out and bow hunt on my farm. He got up and drove out @ 3:45 AM on Saturday morning. He set up a ?climbing stand a couple weeks ago in a good location.

He got his first buck with a bow. I think this is his second year hunting. I can't remember.

The cold front thesis prevailed.

But the cool thing was, there was a buddy system going on. I have had a buddy that used to live next to my hunting clubhouse. But he had the misfortune of having his small house on the frontage burn down 12 years ago. He asked me for a favor and I let him live in my hunting clubhouse (1200 sq. ft. with his family and two youngest daughters that were like 12 and 13 years old so they could take the same bus to school each day, that was theirs while he went to work at a Ford machining plant 40 miles away. I let him live rent and utility free there for 10 months.)

Flash forward more than a decade. And this guy has thrived, always. He's awesome. And his brother was cut out of the same mold.

He helps my son-in-law track the deer with his tracking dog. His brother and nephew were visiting from Pennsylvania. And they all helped butcher and bone out the buck. During the day on Sunday. 45 degree temps.

And a great flow of conversation was had.

And they politely asked to hunt tonight. And I told them by all means. Go for it.

I'm blessed with the community of whitetail habitat hunters. It's awesome.

Oh, and my buddy's brother offered to cape the deer head, and mount and fix it taxidermy wise for my son-in-law. To hang his first buck on the wall.

My photo hosting isn't working well. I'll try to post a picture. And if that doesn't work I'll put links.

[​IMG]

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/y220/Derm95/IMG9563871_20201024_120020.jpg

[​IMG]

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/y220/Derm95/IMG_5897_20201024_115306.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. bmoffit

bmoffit

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. It always seems that when you do something for someone without an expectation of a reciprocation.... great things come from it

3. Matt3ddsteel

Matt3ddsteel

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

4. Muskegonbow

Muskegonbow

Nice story. I’ve got to be honest. When I was getting into habitat around 2014 I thought you were a real jerk on these forums but I guess I was wrong.

5. StevenJ

StevenJ Inscrutable Mastermind Premium Member

Thank you for that note. And I was back then. But I had an epiphany. I also got banned from another blog, and I came back here for my online fix.

(I have to admit I spend a bit of time prior to 2014 on AR15.com and the Glocktalk forum...where arguing and posturing were a thing...You know, trying to get external gratification and demonstrate higher value...)

I was just trying too hard. And then I relaxed into realizing I knew the score and went out and penetrated the world, including wildlife deer habitat.

So I'm nice, now. Things change and people move on.

(And if I'm being honest, do you know who the nicest person I know is? One of my good buddies--RMH. Nice, nicer and nicest! Some ways of the world will never be understood by others. I will always be in Acceptance, rather than Denial, Anger, Bargaining and Depression of how things work..., but I guess that's better a statement for the Political Forum. Back to regular hunting forums...And one of my favorite sayings is: "We all know what is going on here..." My second favorite saying is: "Life is Beautiful..")

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  6. vsmorgantown

vsmorgantown

Congrats to your SIL Steven and to you for putting together your deer Mecca. Excellent write up I enjoyed the read. It’s funny but it seems the more you do for others with zero expectations of getting anything in return the happier you are (at least I am) and favors are returned when you least suspect it. Most people don’t forget good people. I’ve always raised my daughters to help others whenever they can but never expect anything in return.
    I want the nicest person/friend Steven knows to be restored to this site promptly, unchain RMH! I really miss him.

7. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Great story! Congrats to your son-in-law!
    ...and to you as well!
    <----<<<

8. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

That is awesome! Love a good story with a happy ending, your has a couple.

Good neighbors really make every thing come full circle.

Good for you for having some and being one. Congrats to your SIL for putting it all together.

vsmorgantown and StevenJ like this.
  9. Craves

Craves

How about it @Joe Archer , why don't you mods get together and let @RMH back in?

10. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Not my call.
    <----<<<

11. Walt Donaldson

Walt Donaldson

Nice story and write up StevenJ, congrats to all involved!

I second the #freeRMH initiative. To me, the question for the mods is, "Is the MSF a better place with him participating or banned?" The answer seems pretty obvious!

alaska86, bigbucks160, sniper and 3 others like this.
  12. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I miss Rich being on here. He texts me dirty pics every now and again. lol

bigal06, sniper, vsmorgantown and 3 others like this.
  13. Craves

Craves

That's why I asked that you and the mods get together on it....A lot of people would like to see him back.

14. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I never have witnessed anything negative from him either. I always enjoyed his posts and his humor. Maybe some didn't?

15. sniper

sniper

Who’s call is it?? I along with many others would like to inform him he’s in a very rare minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

vsmorgantown likes this.