Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Question

791 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MEL 
#1 ·
A friend of mine's husband died and she wants to legally register his pistol into her name. Which form does she need to fill out? I was looking at RI-060 but it didn't appear she fit the criteria listed in the instructions (no CPL). Any guidance would be appreciated.

#4 ·
It’s very simple, the handgun does not even need to leave the house. All you need is the handgun description and serial number. Call the county sheriff and they will tell you where to apply. More populated counties may send you to the local PD or their records building so it’s worth a call first.

#6 ·
I had the same situation with a handgun of my father's after he passed. I took the gun and his death certificate to the sheriff Dept. at the county seat and they took care of the rest. But as stated by "Thirty Pointer" be sure to call first to find out exactly what they will need.

#8 ·
For anyone who says to take the handgun to the sheriff office or police department, DON'T TAKE IT. They do not want it there. It will cause some serious problems, even if it is in a case.

You do not need to take a death certificate.

She needs to get a Pistol Purchase Permit from her local police department or the Sheriff Office. If the office gives the permit immediately, she can take the information of the handgun with her, fill out the forms, then turn in the state police portion. She will keep the buyer/purchaser and seller's portions.
She will need the manufacturer, serial number, semi-auto or revolver, model, caliber, number of shots, barrel length, and overall length.
She will sign as the purchaser and as the executor, but she should ask the LEO how they want the seller line signed. No one will check if she signs her husband's name, unless she starts talking and tells everyone that he already died.

Best thing to do is go with her if you can and help her with this if she has never done this before.

#9 ·
I called before I went, they told me to bring the gun, locked in a case. I set the case on the counter and when someone got to me I told them what was up and I surrendered the key when they asked.

Things could be very different today as this was 22 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.