Question regarding Shotgun Shells

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by MILONEWOLF, Oct 18, 2020.

1. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

I am not sure about the rules about a "brand name" being used in a post? Has anyone tried the "Boss Shotgun Shells?" I have seen the ads in a waterfowl magazine and went to the site. Not seeing them in any of the stores I frequent. They are a Michigan based company, and wondering if they are good or bad? Any one using them?

2. SteelShot

SteelShot

Boss makes an excellent shell. They don’t sell in stores, you have to order from the website or pick up at the factory. They are made in Bridgeman, MI. I went there and got a nice tour of the small factory from the owner while buying a few boxes to try before buying a case. Cases ship free, boxes do not. They pattern great and I am impressed so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. RS1983

RS1983

I ended up tagging along for a big group field hunt with one of the guys involved with that company. Super nice people and their product works well. Cheaper than tungsten, it lets you drop down a couple shot sizes and get more density to your pattern but each individual pellet hits harder than its size if it were steel. I say go for it if you have the money to burn. This guy has child support to pay and I've always seem to kill my fair share of ducks using cheapo winchesters and federals. I could see using them if I really wanted to hunt using a sub 12 guage...you could shoot something like #6 in a 20 guage and still have enough density in your pattern at longer distances to fold em...

However, I'm a big believer in the saying:

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian..

4. duckman3.5

duckman3.5

I have to check these out. Michigan made, sounds like a no brainer.

5. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

I've been really happy with Boss so far. Make sure to choke them like lead for the distances you're shooting, they don't pattern as tight as steel because they're Bismuth.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

6. Porch Dog

Porch Dog

Boss is located at 3385 Livingston Rd. Just over the railroad tracks. It's in the Ultra-Seal building. A country rd. setting and a short and easy drive off I-94. Their phone # is 269-465-3631. I believe the name of the lady I dealt with is Megan. Just meeting her is well worth the trip :evilsmile

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    William H Bonney likes this.
  7. MILONEWOLF

MILONEWOLF

I had visited their website and the prices were about the same for Tungsten, and similar to Hevi Shot and Hevi Steel brand. Prices were not that different. I do try to shop and by Michigan based products, just a good practice.

Bertslash likes this.
  8. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

Bismuth is Much cheaper per shot than hevishot or tungstent. Boss's prices are as good or cheaper than I could load bismuth myself, and theirs is copper plated :)

9. ajkulish

ajkulish

I know a lot of people really like Boss and many will get butthurt when someone says something negative.

I watched my buddy rack off about 35 rounds of boss 5 over opening weekend. They do a great job at knocking off a ton of feathers. They are also very ethical as they allow you to have all the fun of shooting a bird, and still getting the satisfaction of knowing it will continue to fly another day!

But really. The guy is not a bad shot or anything, you could see him rocking birds, and he pillowcased at least 3, but they did not drop. He did get a good water swat on a hen mallard with it.

IMO, worry about your shooting and not your shot.

GRUNDY, daddyduck and eye-sore like this.
  10. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

Ouch, that's an expensive day.

I like bismuth and will use kent or boss when I want to, but also still use steel a lot... I agree with you that most people need to worry about their shooting skills and hunting skills #1... And too many think they can grab a magical shell or choke and they will hit what they're aiming at.

But, once you have your shotgunning skills well trained... THEN you do notice the benefits of better ammo.

What you're describing (hitting birds but they fly off, or you hear the shot hit and feathers fly) happens to me when they are out of range...

Bismuth does not increase your range like people think it would... Bismuth #5 (what he was shooting) has a max range of 38 yards.... Most steel loads will do that, and better. Bismuth #4 is 48 yards, and 3s don't run out of energy for ducks until almost 60 (good luck keeping a pattern out that far).

So; if bismuth doesn't increase range why do I use it? - For me; I have less cripples at the same ranges as steel... But I had to purposely choose not to try and take further shots. When I take the same shots as steel, I end up with more birds, and less chasing ducks through the weeds. My guess is that I have less cripples because there are more pellets in my pattern than with steel.

I had a friend who heard I was trying bismuth said "I heard those are sniper shells". I think this is a common misconception, and people are trying to shoot further, which isn't the point, the point for me is less cripples at the ranges I shoot. If you don't have any cripples or water swats with steel, there's no reason for you to look at anything else.

If your friend still has some shells left, have him toss in his factory Full choke, bismuth is hard to keep the pattern together ... I got some aweful patterns out of my waterfowl chokes. If he wants to sell the rest of his shells let me know, I'll give him $15/box.

Anyway, not butthurt, I want everyone to shoot what gives them the most success and fewest cripples... But that involves practice #1 (not just a box of shells in the back yard. I would say a minimum 500+ shells on the skeet/trap/sporting range) , getting your gun fit to you (not just looking down the rib and call it good), and patterning or at least researching proper chokes and loads (all of which I've learned a LOT of people don't do)... Shoot, most waterfowlers brag about how long it's been since they've cleaned their gun.

When in doubt toss #2 or 3 steel, a light modified choke and keep your shots under 40.

If bismuth, use #4, improved modified or full choke and keep your shots under 40 :)

6thMichCav and justducky430 like this.
  11. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Killed a lot of birds with my short piped M choke 16 gauge, including some small geese at 40-45 yards shooting Hevi Bismuth. When those run out I'll be looking at the Boss shells.

12. The Doob

The Doob

Boss shells is what I have used the last 2 years and I an very happy with it.
    Shooting 2 3/4" #5's out an IC Invector Plus Browning. When pattern testing earlier this fall, they patterned better than Hevi Metal and the Federal Heavyweight.
    Killed 2 today, a drake Can and a drake RH, both with one shot each, both were DOA. Unlike the earlier poster, I have experienced far less crippling, enough that my buddies have commented on it.

It will never be as economical as Winchester Experts but financially it is not the huge hit the sticker suggests as I find I am using fewer shells than when I have used the lower priced rounds.

13. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

Too far is too far. Missing is missing.

What shot is a pretty small factor. Given proper shot size has been chosen.

eye-sore and Far Beyond Driven like this.
  14. fishdip

fishdip

If hes knocking feathers off and not dropping them hes shooting them in the rear.

15. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

It wont make you shoot better but the birds you do hit square will take a beating compared to steel <35 yards away. compare it to throwing a lacrosse ball at someone compared to a baseball. yes, both will hurt but the lacrosse ball is no joke and the experiment will be short lived.