Question regarding a certain factory round for deer hunters using a .44 Mag revolver

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dpretired, Nov 27, 2019.

1. dpretired

dpretired

Is there anybody out there who has shot a deer with their .44 Magnum revolver using the Barnes Vor-tx .44 Mag, 225 gr. XPB factory round? Just out of curiosity, I recently decided to buy a box of these bullets, but have not yet had the opportunity to shoot a deer with them. I see that it is another all-copper, deep hollow point bullet very similar to their Expander MZ muzzleloader bullets. I have personally enjoyed great results with those 50 cal. bullets in the past. I'm anxious to hear any reports on how this similar .44 Mag round performed on a deer size animal. According to company ads, it's supposed to have great penetration on deer and produce big exit wounds, but I don't always take the company's word for it. I like to get my reviews from real people.

2. dpretired

dpretired

Just visited a sporting goods store and noticed that this Barnes .44 Mag factory round I described in my earlier post today has been adopted by Federal. It's in their Federal Premium line-up of hunting bullets and is called the Federal .44 Mag Big Game Load. It has the very same Barnes Expander MZ style all-copper bullet with deep hollow point. I imagine the powder charge and ballistics are exactly the same too. Price: $40.00 for a box of 20 rounds.

3. Moe

Moe

Not with a revolver but have shot two deer with the 44 mag Vor-tx bullets out of a CVA single shot rifle this year. Farthest shot was just over 100 yards and both were pass through.

4. dpretired

dpretired

Well, that's good to hear about those particular bullets passing completely through. Especially at that distance. I don't expect to ever shoot at a deer with my .44 revolver at long ranges like that, maybe 20 - 25 yards out at the very most. I see deer closer than that all the time from a tent blind that I sit in on the edge of a small apple orchard. With the type of sights that are on my handgun, the risk of wounding a deer at longer ranges would just be too great. I'm planning on using it only in thick cover situations where I can expect any shots I take to be close. I've had plenty of situations in the past like that while watching a runway in a dense cedar swamp when the deer are almost on top of you before you can see them and then are gone before you can find them in the scope. I imagine that it would be quite a thrill to knock one down with a handgun someday instead of a rifle. I'm hoping to experience that in the near future.