close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on jackplates

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by mikey, Sep 5, 2017.

1. mikey

mikey

Which jackplate do you guys with power T/T use while fishing the shallow rivers? I remember seeing a thread about someone mounting a motor on a jackplate, and disengaging the power tilt off the jackplate while fishing the river in case you hit something. (The motor will flip up). I am looking to do the same with my boat so I can fish the rivers. What brand do you guys recommend and please include pros and cons on them?
    Thank you

2. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

I do not know much about jack plates and which one to use. They were popular when I was fishing the flats in Florida a lot. The guides could rise and lower their motors to get on and off the flats.

Here is something that you should think about if you are going to run a prop in the rivers. I never saw them until the other day. They were a rental boat and the guy the rents the boats says they are great. They are comparable to a aluminum prop for performance from what he said. It could save you a ton on replacement props.

http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/boat-propellers-with-replaceable-interchangeable-blades

3. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

They are not really comparable with aluminum props. They have a lot more "flex" than a metal prop. There is not way they can give the same performance.

In a shallow river, where your hole shot and performance, such as speed, turning at speed, etc, is not as important, they may be a good choice.

4. mikey

mikey

I'm not worried about the prop as much as the power tilt issue. I ran a prop guard on my old boat (no power t/t) for years and had no problems. My new boat motor will not flip up if I hit something....that's why I'm looking for the jackplate that can "release" if I hit something.

5. tito

tito

I dont see why you would need a jack plate. You could just disengage your tilt bolted on the transom if thats what you wanted. But if you have tilt you can tilt up higher than the bottom of the boat and still move forward at a slow speed. A jackplate has its own rams to go vertical they dont tilt its not intergrated with your motor tilt

6. mikey

mikey

We are on different pages...... You can disengage the tilt on a power T/T but it will not freely lift if you hit an obstruction like a motor without power T/T. I know I can lift the motor up a little when running, but it still won't lift up if I hit a shallow stump. I've seen jackplates which can disengage and freely lift during an obstruction. I just cannot locate one on line.....and I also want to get an opinion from someone who actually has one. Gotta be someone out there.....