Question about environmental contamination.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by DirtySteve, Feb 15, 2019.

1. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Since we are in a lull and I am waiting for spring fishing I find myself reading up on the latest cwd news. I was reading about environmental contamination. Then a question came to me......if environmental contamination was a real thing why were they able to eradicate BSE in cattle so easily? Everyone seems to say that BSE and vCJD is very similar to CWD in that it is a prion caused disease that affects the same area of the brain and nervous system. BSE has been found in urine and saliva but not in milk or blood of the cow. There were 186k cows known to have BSE in Europe. Within a few short years they contained the disease to a mere 4 cases in 2017. They basically did 2 things. Stopped feeding bone meal from other cows to the heard and they killed 4.4 million head of cattle. Other restrictions were testing on any animal that is older than 30 months of age that is sold for food. They also stopped mechanical processing procedures that dealt with the vertebrae area during processing.

Farms were only quarantined for 4 yrs. If the environmental contamination was an issue wouldn't Europe still have BSE in cattle? It seems scientists believed that the spread was from eating bone meal and also handed down to offspring and that is how they attacked it..

Am I missing something here?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Sure makes you think doesn't it? From 100's of thousands to next to nothing in very little time.

DirtySteve and ridgewalker like this.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Ask anyone who lived in England 25 years ago how many pints of blood they have been able to donate since that time.

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

5. Justsayin

Justsayin

I've been wrestling with similar questions...

Maybe the environment effect doesn't come into play in BSE because cattle are sent off farm to slaughter operations?!? Cattle carcasses are rendered, digested, composted or incinerated.

CWD seems to be more similar to Scrapie, which has existed for 100's of years. Contaminated pastures, barns, etc. caused Scrapie disease to occur in sheep. Like CWD, the disease isn't well understood. Some think that CWD may have developed from exposure to Scrapie in the Colorado research facility. Mule deer captured from the wild for nutrition studies shared pens with sheep in scrapie studies.

6. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

How many years do sick cows stay in their environments compared to sheep or deer? I feel the latter is contributing a much larger prion load into their environments.

7. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I forget what year they stopped my family from donating blood, but I do know that it was just AFTER I donated my 10th gallon. We were in England during that "Time of Mad Cow". We have lost a lot of very good blood and organ donors because of their service in England.

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Anyone who lived in England for more than 6 months, I believe that is the correct number, in the late 1970's to, I believe the mid 1980's, is no longer able to donate blood, or organs, due to their possible exposure to mad cow disease.

9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Not sure what that had to do with BSE being wiped out and environmental contamination.

The UK has some of the strictest blood donation policies in the world. Not just for BSE. They have a lengthy blood donation restriction for people who get tattoos or piercings. They have a blood shortage going on there due to their policies.

Oddly enough I am not allowed to give blood here in the US due to a genetic disorder that stems from my ancestry origin in that area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

From 1980 through 1996, but they made the qualifier even less than 6 months post 2001.