QDMA: Targeted Deer Removal Can Work

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by LabtechLewis, May 17, 2019.

1. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I can't find a link to the article, but I thought the content was worth sharing. Of particular interest to me is the recognizable prevalence data from Illinois and the fact that QDMA stands by this as an example of success. Anyone else read this recent article in Quality Whitetails with interest? Maybe our local group should advocate for targeted removal of does, to make up for hunters' lack of participation, instead of MAPRs. Seems like a more appropriate response considering the purpose of the effort.

20190517_132238.jpg 20190517_132355.jpg 20190517_132524.jpg

jr28schalm, Wild Thing and mbrewer like this.
  2. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

The qdma person who wrote this kinda twisting some words making it sound as though the wisconsin does are the cwd problem.

Pic is from WI dnr as of 3-19-2019 Screenshot_20190517-151703.png

Hunters Edge likes this.

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Twisting of words, say it ain't so.

jr28schalm likes this.
  4. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

I believe OTCarcher and a couple others pointed out that illinois is excellent at watering down their cwd prevalence. Claims of illinois taking a lot of samples outside of known cwd areas

5. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Ok i had to do a quick check, Illinois is most definitely watering down their cwd prevalence.

Check out where they get the samples from, the entire state. When the northern part is the cwd area. For the 2017/18 season approximately 8,700 samples tested for cwd, only 3700 were from cwd counties. Screenshot_20190517-155620.png

And just for fun adult bucks in Illinois are about double the prevalence of does Screenshot_20190517-155718.png

6. Waif

Waif

Targeting doe where doe can be reduced is part of keeping a herd in check numbers wise. Should be a given regardless of disease threat.

Doe factor in C.W.D. enough to not ignore them ,BUT...Doe kills should (in my opinion) be a separate issue than buck kills. Going forward after a reduction where desired will change kill choices again. Are hunters willing to swing with regulations promoting/changing kill choices at shorter intervals than the 4ish year averages here now?

Of course the tally of all kills matters , yet focus on buck or doe alone is a whipsaw process that flexes with availability and hunter perception of availability.. Hunters cheering doe kills when a given area has few (hey it has happened in areas) is not a safe bet.
    As easy as it seems to condition hunters to "tradition" , hunters tend to run fickle for a variety of reasons. As season progresses is one example. Or how regulations and hunter acceptance of management regulations when they started hunting evolves.

Till hunters agree on what constitutes an acceptable number of deer where they hunt (by area including neighboring properties), debating what age or sex should be targeted (or not targeted) is a cart before horse concept.

Yes there can be a balance when a greater than historical trend of kills is increased. Why not?

What hunters think of C.W.D. today may differ greatly down the road.
    Same with regulations targeting C.W.D..

jr28schalm likes this.
  7. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Exactly. That's what caught my attention, too. But wouldn't a reputable biologist / organization thoroughly review that before endorsing? BTW, I consider the QDMA reputable...

Wild Thing and jr28schalm like this.
  8. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Im sure Kip Adams knows Pennsylvania next move will be to eliminate MAPRs. Regardless of what group or habitat guru says u have to do your own research. Best thing ive done was to read every deer study with radio collar/gps

9. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Wtf do you guys want me 2 shoot. This **** is so confusing. Do you want me to shoot all the deer I see

Sparky23 and Dish7 like this.
  10. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Yep spray n pray Jr.

Whitetail_hunter and jr28schalm like this.
  11. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Am I supposed to pound the small bucks before my neighbors?. I about to take a break and head back over to the indoor habitat forum. Alot easier over there..lol

12. motdean

motdean

So that is Illionois.

Here is a link to Wisconsin:

https://dnr.wi.gov/wmcwd/Summary/County

I cut and pasted the table into Excel. Here is the Top 10 Counties based on prevalence.
    upload_2019-5-18_6-23-28.png

Additionally, if you sort and filter based on counties with test positives, you still get 2.94% in those counties 5254/178652 = 2.94%.

So, in CWD counties, it is still 3.5 times higher in Wisconsin than in Illinois, if that is a good benchmark.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  13. mbrewer

mbrewer

Every state does that. How the data is or isn't reported is where the hobby lobby jumps in with their nuh uhs and panties in a bunch.

Repurposing data is how you put excuses to paper.

14. Stick'nString

Stick'nString

What does that even mean? Seems to me that reporting accurately should matter to everyone even beyond "hobby lobby", whoever that is. Hillsdale brought up a great point regarding Illinois reporting. Does that make him part of the "hobby lobby"?

15. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Yes - I read the article in QW as well Jason. I thought it was a good article and thought, as I read it, that this is more or less in line with what I am seeing with our own DNR's response to CWD.

FWIW - I have also thought that the data coming from Illinois might be less than accurate.

Agree with Hillsdales Most Wanted that it helps to read as much as we can from all sources on the CWD issue.