Putting Islander in St Mary's today, need deck hand ??

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Larry Kirwan, May 3, 2018.

1. Larry Kirwan

Larry Kirwan

Morning, I'm gonna put new (old ) boat I bought recently for first run and clean out motor and check for leaks, check all electronics, if everything seems good will throw a line or 2 out, using the ramp at trailer park just south of the SOO town, anyone want to come along yell at me ETA is about 10:00 A.M. 906-259-721seven----today is Thursday 5-3-18 boat may 1--2.JPG

2. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

How did it go? Lots of ice still being locked through, at least in the afternoon. FM

3. Larry Kirwan

Larry Kirwan

It was nice just getting out, ya a little dodgeing ICE, but real calm and boat ran good and no leaks to worry about (I think), just enough breeze made me take a couple passes trying to load without a hand. I think with this rain and sun the next 3 day's we should be in decent shape tho, I just don't have a clue were to fish at tho....

4. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

First thing you need is a wall hook for fishing at the power plant. Pay Soo Welding a visit. Next, pay a visit to Wild Bills and get some basic info on what works. After that, go fishing. BUT above all while you are out on the water; Watch And Learn! Good Luck. FM

Larry Kirwan likes this.
  5. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Now is the time to fish the upper river for perch and whitefish. Look for the boats, use the launch by the condo's. Wax worms and tear drops will do the lob.

6. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Still full of ice but when it opens you are dead on! Even Brimley Bay looked like you could still ice fish, the commercial tugs are not even moored in the river mouth yet. FM

Munuscool likes this.
  7. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Can the freighters navigate the upper river?? Sounds like a lot of ice this time of year.

8. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Shipping is normal, the channels are open but every time they lock a ship through ice is released making travel by fishing boats hazardous in the lower river. A good southeast blow would take care of the ice PDQ. FM