Punching bait caster

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by mbirdsley, Jun 30, 2020.

1. tincanary

tincanary

Here are a couple of different inductors.

This is the long cast inductor used on the standard non SV spool.
    longcastinductor.jpg

Notice how the very end is beveled, this makes the braking force weaker. Additionally, the spring under that inductor is stronger than what's found in the SV. The inductor works on centrifugal force. When you cast, that spring moves the inductor outward into the magnet assembly slowing down the spool.

Next we have the SV inductor.
    svinductor.jpg

The SV inductor has no beveled edge, and it's also a good amount longer. Paired with a weaker spring, this gives much better braking but at the expense of distance.

Crestliner 16 and mbirdsley like this.
  2. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Wow that’s a lot of stuff you can tinker with to make it better. I’ll look into after I take it out a couple of times. This will be the nicest reel that I will have owned. Next closest would be my carbon light 2.0 combo.

I was looking at our salmon trolling Diawa sealines on my brothers boat. Grandpa bought those in the early 80’s for charter fishingand we are still using them to catch salmon today. hopefully this Tatula will last that long.

We will be in the midst of punching season when it comes. Some probably already have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crestliner 16 likes this.

3. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

[​IMG]
    Edit: Never mind it just means high speed

This is what I bought. What’s does the HS mean behind the 103

I think the one I’m getting maybe a slightly older as the picture shows the reel as like a silver metallic color and the new ones are all black

[​IMG]

With the mail speeding up I should have maybe by the weekend

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    tincanary likes this.
  4. tincanary

tincanary

You're going to love it, very nice reel. Keep in mind with the Daiwa Magforce reels, you don't use the spool tensioner like you do on other reels with a centrifugal brake. Daiwa has the tension preset out of the box. There should be just a tiny bit of side play in the spool. You'll use the brake dial on the palm side to adjust braking 100% of the time. Start out with it on max and back it off as you get used to it.

Crestliner 16 and mbirdsley like this.
  5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Same for Harrison twp

6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Depends on the style of fishing. I rend to use alot higher gear ratios for punching. When there is no bite in a spot I punch i want to get the bait in quickly to try the next spot. No need for wasted time cranking the handle. It would be different if I was in texas with possibility of an 8-10lber where i need to really wrench in a giant in the weeds. Michigan largemouth are small compared to most states. I use something around 8.5 to 1 ratio for punching slop.

7. tincanary

tincanary

There really isn't that much difference in line pickup between a 7:1 and 8:1 reel. Depending on model and spool depth, it will be anywhere from 2" to 4" per turn. On a short 10 yard cast, you'll turn the handle a couple more times on the 7:1 than you would the 8:1. Not enough to make a noticeable difference unless you're counting how many times you're turning the handle.

8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

My curado DC 6.2:1 ratio vs my 8.5:1 is 10" per turn difference. If you compare it to the 7.4:1 it is 5" per turn. If you are fishing 10 yd casts in 8 foot of water that is 4 less revolutions per cast. Maybe that doesnt sound like much to you but it does to me.

Punching is drop it on their head and get a reaction strike deal. When you dont get bit you constantly reel right up and drop it over 5-10' to cover an area. Do this over and over for 8-9 hrs it makes a huge difference. Punching is a feast or famine type of fishing. When you find that spot with hard bottom under a matte of weeds you might catch 10 fish. It could be an hour of nothing until you find it. The key to catching fish is to keep moving. It is one of the few reasons I own a 8.5:1 ratio reel.

9. tincanary

tincanary

You're comparing a 6.2 vs an 8.5 right off the bat. That's not a valid comparison because of the huge difference in retrieve rate. Of course there will be a big difference between those two ratios, no question. We were talking about the 7.1:1 vs the 8.1:1 Tatula SV, which have a 4" difference in retrieve rate. You turn the handle a few more times when punching, no big deal. Chances are you won't even notice. Additionally, the 7.1:1 is a far more versatile ratio, it will fulfill many more roles and OP will get a lot more use out of it in the long term.

10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

No I gave both comparisons and my calculations are based on 7.4:1 curado vs 8.5:1 and It is 5" difference.

The OP wasnt asking for versatility he was asking for specifically a punching set up on a rod only used specifically for punching. If we were talking about versitility I would agree with you 100% that something in the 7:1 range would be right.

When you are punching your entire day is spent reeling in line. The 4 or 5" per turn makes a ton of difference. You can get alot more casts in with the same effort. On top of the drop it in reel it up action think about all the times per day you might strip line off for a backlashed reel or a missed cast you absolutely dont want to fish where you drop it and you have to quickly reel uo and cast over again. All that speed adds up.

Guys like KVD and Rick Clun will tell you they made their living keeping a line in the water more than anyone else on a given day back before electronics changed the game. Punching is one of the techniques where their winning style of fishing pays off and electronics arent as useful. The logic carries over to a recreational fisherman as well not just tournament fishing.

11. tincanary

tincanary

We will just have to agree to disagree. I've punched with everything from a 4.7:1 Abu 5000D years back to my 8.1:1 Fuego CT. I never once thought "I wish this thing was just a little faster" or got worn out from the technique. My mind isn't so much focused on what the reel is doing as it is what myself and the fish are doing. I never even notice it.

12. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Well this seller only had a couple 7:3:1 reels and no higher gear ratios. My carbon light is is 8:2:1 and I like it a lot. We’re in the midst of punching season and I’m in agreement with Tin canary that while 8:2;1 is a little faster 7:3:1 is not a deal breaker. Have to get the deal while you can. I usually use my carbon light for light t-rigging and up to 3/4 oz so far and it has done an amazing job doing that role.

13. tincanary

tincanary

Sounds like you're pretty well set. How long is that Carbon Light? I like a 7' to 7'6" for punching.

14. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

It’s a 7ft mh. I bought the combo on sale for $174 right after Christmas from cabelas. They go on sale a lot. I almost bought either the 7’8 or 8 foot H last year when I was looking for a heavy punching rod, it came in 2nd place. They are fast action but, have a softer tip. Right now I have 30 lbs pp on it with 20 lbs leader I use it mainly for t-rigging and flipping/pitching in light cover. I like it a lot.

When I bought the bassx last year for punching I was dead set on a fast action tip. I wanted a bass mojo but, they had zero at bps. I’ve only used the bassx once or twice so far and the jury is still out. I may end up getting rid of it this winter. It just feels like a log in your hand. Actually the bass mojo’s in that size are a honkin rod too. Those carbon lights do feel so good. Maybe I’ll look at those again or somthing else

15. tincanary

tincanary

I've never used a Carbon Light but I've heard they're really good. I have a lot of the older Cabela's Tourney Trail rods they were selling some years back. They're a little hefty, but for what they cost and for how they perform, I can look past that.

mbirdsley likes this.