Punching bait caster

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by mbirdsley, Jun 30, 2020.

1. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I’m looking for ideas a heavy slop/ punching bait caster. I’ll have about $150ish to spend could go higher for the right one. Could be new or used. The rod it it’s going on I’d 7ft4 heavy st.croix bassx and the reel will have 65lbs pp braid on it. It’s going to be used for punching nasty sloppy vegetation. I don’t need it right this second. I do know fishing tackle is in very high demand at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  2. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

In other words, you're looking for a reel that @tincanary isn't going to have to fine tune the drag? :rolleyes:

I'd suggest that you make the road trip to Cabelas/Bass Pro and see what fits your budget and more importantly your hand. I have a hard time shopping for bait-casters without hanging them on a rod first.

frenchriver1 likes this.

3. jd4223

jd4223

Contact Tincanary on this forum...He is the expert when it comes to baitcasters!

4. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I can tune the drags. I’ve got an Accurist pt on the rod right now. That reel is wat over matched for what I want it to do. I guess my question being semi new to bait casters is what characteristics makes a good flipping reel

5. piketroller

piketroller

mbirdsley likes this.
  6. fishrod

fishrod

Cabela’s in Dundee is out of almost every reel they stock, last weekend anyway.

DirtySteve likes this.
  7. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I was at cabelas today and rich ( great guy) explained the supply issue to me . Walmart in Owosso is cleared out of most tackle

Chromedoggy likes this.
  8. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

No need for a drag.

Thumb bar release.

Heavy duty gears that withstand the winching.

Relative high speed retrieve.

Those four things, in a reel that fits the size of your hand, and, is balance with the chosen rod.

tincanary, GrandGuru and mbirdsley like this.
  9. tincanary

tincanary

Sounds like the reel for the job is a Tatula SV TW 103, 6.7oz, 7.1:1 gears, and a nice and compact frame that's very easy to palm. The SV spool Daiwa's are a dream to cast and with the air brake make it very easy to accurately flip and pitch without backlashing. Many use them for dock skipping. They aren't very good for distance, but you're not shooting for the moon in this scenario anyway. Due to the way the spool is designed, it won't hold but 90yd of 65lb braid. You can find them for $180 or less if you look around brand new and around $120 to $150 used.

https://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/tatulasv/index.html

mbirdsley and Lund Explorer like this.
  10. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Fortunately, I'm beyond the stage where I want to do the combat fishing that fishing the slop demands. Did it for years, and you can get on some nice bass at certain times, but it is a real contact sport.

Hope the OP rethinks his choice of rod, and goes with a full 8' of Heavy Action rod. Every inch counts when trying to turn that fishes head on the hookset and get them moving towards the boat.

Crestliner 16 and tincanary like this.
  11. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Yeah I’ll be up grading the rod eventually it was just ment as a get me by rod. Bass pro didn’t really have a big selection of punching rods. I really wanted a bass mojo

12. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

This sounds pretty good. I might only need 40yards of 65 yard pp. something to keep an eye out for.

13. tincanary

tincanary

You could probably find the predecessor, the SV TW for under $100 used. Very similar reel, just a little heavier due to the frame being larger. The new model is the SV TW 103.

14. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I just found one new box for $150 shipped

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    tincanary likes this.
  15. tincanary

tincanary

That's a great price. They're really sweet reels. Daiwa uses the SV spool on a lot of models like the Tatula, Steez, Alphas, Coastal, and Zillion. It's designed for shorter accurate casts and has a heavier brake. The way the brake works is by way of an inductor at the side of the spool. The inductor sits on a spring that extends it into the magnet assembly on the palm side on the cast. The harder you cast, the more braking force is applied. SV spools have a weaker spring than say, a Tatula CT or Lexa which makes for a far more controlled cast. Other Magforce braked reels have a stronger spring which makes the brake less effective and better for longer casts. You can swap different springs to tailor the braking to your tastes. Additionally, various thicknesses and tapers of inductors are available for you to further tweak the brake. Of course you don't have to do any of that, but if you want to tinker these things can be a rabbit hole of sorts. The SVs are also capable of lighter baits, you could tie some 20 or 30lb braid and cast 1/8 baits very easily.

mbirdsley likes this.