Pulling harnesses question??

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by onebad800, May 15, 2018 at 8:54 PM.

1. onebad800

onebad800

question I use harnesses and bottom bouncers in St Clair river (3oz) but plan to go fish the lake so my kid can try for smallies as well , so will he 10-13’ fow , what do use for weights to get harness down 1’ or so off bottom ? I heard online weights but not sure what those are and how do you determine amount of weight to use for the depth your after?? Or do I just need 1oz BB ? Sorry lot of questions lol

Patch likes this.
  2. BayBound

BayBound

I’d use 1oz for that depth. You can use less but I’d rather have the line more up and down than dragging back. Give it a bounce, let it tighten up and then let out enough to hit bottom one more time. Should be good

3. chasing em

chasing em

Agree with BayBound. Rule of thumb is 1 oz. per 10 fow...1oz. 10 fow. 3 oz. for 30fow ect.

4. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

Any weight really. The heavier the weight, the quicker it hits the bottom with less line.

On my down rods, I always run 3oz, no matter the depth. For staying around the bottom, there are a few options but two are what I use.

1. Run your bouncer down until it hits bottom. Click it over and throw it in the holder. This will leave it in that 1 to 2 feet off the bottom area. If you spool it to hit again, it will tick or bounce bottom. Spooling it a third time lets it almost drag.

2. Drop shot trolling. Cut the trailing arm off the bouncer next to the main loop. Tie a 3 way to your main line. Put a 1 foot dropper on and tie on the bouncer main loop. On the other end of the 3 way, tie on your leader and bait or harness. This rig will stay 1 foot or so off the bottom. I use this with very weed covered bottom contours.

5. onebad800

onebad800

great info thanks guys appreciate it.

6. Sandy-man

Sandy-man

Depth chart for 1 oz bottom bouncers

Attached Files:

Sportsman777 likes this.