close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pulled the trigger finally! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Duck-Hunter, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Finally settled on my first center pin reel. I went with a Raven Matrix XL. I was in between that or the smaller matrix. Saw them side by side and opted for the big dog. I picked a first good day to take it out. The wind has been blowing strong all day, rain, snow, rain, sleet, snow...it was ridiculous. It was all worth it. I had a couple of misses but sealed the deal on two fish. First fish on the pin was the smallest steelhead I've caught(besides smolt). Seems to be how I do it on my first. My first king on a bobber was under 15" lol. I'm definitely hooked and kicking myself for not making the switch sooner. Can't wait to tangle with some big steelhead and Kings!

I had to do the over the shoulder pose. Am I part of the club now? Lol 83234.jpeg 83238-01.jpeg

Sprytle, jd4223, zer0 and 5 others like this.
  2. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

Congratulations!

Duck-Hunter likes this.

3. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

4. adam bomb

adam bomb

Awesome! Good move going with the XL. I bought a Matrix and a month later got a Matrix XL Fully Ported. The larger spool is definitely nice! I’m gonna do a BOCA bearing swap in mine. I guess they’re the cats meow

Duck-Hunter likes this.
  5. slightofhand

slightofhand

I’d say you got it figured out congrats! Addictive for sure, I’m catching walleye with my Centerpin now along with some drop backs. Can’t wait for summer runs and then some giant kings in August! I picked up a 5.5” Colville trinity for that job because anything smaller isn’t going to cut it

Duck-Hunter likes this.
  6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Glad to see you are HOOKED, and had a great first time out. One of my first reels was an XL and it preformed just fine with no problems. Enjoy your new found fishing experience.

7. Duck-Hunter

Hey, I think you are the guy that I bought the reel off of! Thanks again, I really appreciate it and the excellent service!

Can't wait to get after some more steelhead soon with it. Already planning on targeting a few warm water fish during the summer and definitely pumped to fish Kings with it. Time to order some blanks and build me a couple float rods.

zer0 and wyandot like this.
  8. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Congrats! Good choice there for a first reel - that larger diameter helps without a doubt in my opinion! Let me know if you want any advice on rod components/how-tos. Jay (Wyandot) is a wealth of knowledge as is Denny (flyrodder46) when it comes to builds as well.

Duck-Hunter and wyandot like this.
  9. Duck-Hunter

I ordered a set of abec 7 boca bearings, I keep hearing about them and figured why not? Lol. they should be here Saturday

adam bomb likes this.
  10. jd4223

jd4223

You forgot to tell us where you were fishing...lol At least tell us how you were rigged up and what you caught them fish on...Is that reel spooled with Bloodrun line? Congrats on the new reel and beautiful fish!

11. adam bomb

adam bomb

Went 2 for 4 yesterday on a couple drop backs. Lost a nice buck to a leader failure after some awesome acrobatics. Not sure if it got wrapped on his gill plate or what but I was short about 5” on my leader and it looked like a clean cut. The other one I never saw and after a couple short runs came unbuttoned. I hit everything on spawn. Color wasn’t a factor as I hit one on peach, chartreuse, orange and pink bags ‍♂️. I had Daddy duty today, back on the river tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1524175804.418132.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1524175819.679346.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1524176309.003580.jpg

Sprytle and Duck-Hunter like this.
  12. jd4223

jd4223

Beautiful fish. I haven't been lucky at all so far this year. Have to settle for fishing FlatRock(Huron River). Haven't even caught a sucker yet...but still lots of fun getting out and using my centerpin.

13. Duck-Hunter

I was on the Kenai River.

Good call on the bloodrun line. I was running 15lb bloodrun to 10lb P-Line CXX to 8 lb P-Line flouroclear. I put some 3/0 split shots under my float and tapered down to BB size(ending about 18”) from my bead(chartreuse 10mm). Water was pretty muddy that day.

14. jd4223

jd4223

Thanks for the additional info. Wish I was able to fish Alaska!