Public land hunting with Kids, any advice?

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by Oak, Oct 12, 2020.

1. micooner

micooner

I'm not trying to scare you but if I was public land hunting this year with kids I would be in blaze orange from head to toe. Seems like this could be a crazy kind of year. Be safe.

Fishfighter, DanSS26, Seldom and 2 others like this.
  2. randomstranger

randomstranger

You've gotten some pretty solid advice so far, I'll just reemphasis keep it fun and stay safe. They will to learn the be patients to sit for longer as they get older. Teach them to wear orange on the way in and on the way out even if it's not required for that season.

Oak likes this.

3. Scadsobees

Scadsobees

I've tried it during bow season with two boys. Its noise and smell times 3 (well probably times 7!), and with myself being so inexperienced made the learning curve that much steeper. But you have to start somewhere, and getting out with them before gun season and scouting some spots is a great experience.

I've always been hesitant to try it during gun season, as we have a little private land to hunt. If we did, though, we'd be wearing the orange vests as a minimum.

November Sunrise and Oak like this.
  4. GIDEON

GIDEON

I love hunting with kids, started my son at 4, Grandsons are now going, 5, 6, and 7. $ was the starting age for all of em, keep them warm, lots of snacks, have fun.

DanSS26, November Sunrise and Oak like this.
  5. evergreen257

evergreen257

just to add to the safety i would only have 1 firearm for your group.draw straws or something as to who is going to be the shooter for first hour or so.a makeshift blind with young hunters on any land can be unsafe

perchjerker and Sparky23 like this.
  6. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I wouldn't worry too much about the kids in my blind. It's the other knot heads out there that scare the ****out of me

7. Oak

Oak Premium Member

We went on a trial today, it was amazing, I gave them the compass, they listened to instruction while walking into the woods, it was kind of funny and irritating when they go load and jump every time they spot wildlife or see something interesting.
    The Joy did not last long, we had to go back to the main road, as couple of hunters with bows passed us and we had no orange clothing.

Thank you all for the valuable advice