Property improvements progress report

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by 28hotshot, Sep 29, 2020.

1. 28hotshot

28hotshot

Threw down my last layer of rye last night. Honestly it was tough finding places to put it since everything is so thick. Brassicas are the size of baseballs and softballs! This sweet feast blend is awesome. The green forage and fall forage blends are growing great too. Some of the cereal grains are 18 inches tall and I only planted first week of August. The clover I seeded last fall is super tall and lush as well. The screen is over 15 ft tall and starting to brown on the top. There is so much food out there for the deer compared to previous years using biologic brassicas, corn, and eagle beans. All of the habitat improvements are starting to show that they are working. Checked the cameras from the past 2 weeks and the shift is definitely on. Went from 0 bucks on camera for 6 weeks to 15 different bucks the past 2 weeks. Now the hard part is going to be resisting the urge to hunt every day including less than optimal conditions. Hoping this hard work all pays off for years to come.

Next year I'll have a challenge ahead of me as I will be trying to improve grandpas popple forest/swamp 40 up in the cadillac area with no ag around.

Attached Files:

2. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

3. jparks02

jparks02

Nice habitat improvements and thank you for sharing. Plots and screen look good too. I bet we see you hang one up this year, good luck!

Wild Thing likes this.
  4. jfishbones

jfishbones

What did you use for a screen, looks great.

jparks02 likes this.
  5. 28hotshot

28hotshot

Northwoods whitetails hd screen. Its a little thinner than I would like but its my first time trying it so will adjust next year. Tried the killer food plots mix last year and it just looked like a different color grass next to the field 3 ft tall lol

Attached Files:

jparks02 likes this.
  6. 28hotshot

28hotshot

Update: cereal grains are super tall, not even sure of they will still eat them. Still so much food left. Probably helps that the neighbors are baiting. Oh well I guess I'll continue the hard work in hopes it pays off. Been trying to pick my days carefully to not overpressure the property. Seen a nice shooter Friday night in the back stand but slipped through too quick at 35 yards for a shot. Here's a few pics from the stand up front at the plot.

Attached Files:

7. 28hotshot

28hotshot

Got this guy last night. Didn't come to the plot but I'm sure the improvements had him hanging around with a few pics since the opener. Not one of the big ones but still a good 2.5 year old and the biggest I've had a chance at in 13 seasons. Might be going on the wall since its my first good buck on my own property.

Attached Files:

brewster, 3X8, 5150 and 7 others like this.