close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Property Feedback

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by lucicarli, Jan 12, 2018.

1. lucicarli

lucicarli

Happy New Year to all
    I do not post often but I am looking for some feedback in regards to property I have been hunting for a few years now. I consider this a transition/feeding type of property. It consists of roughly 40 acres. Based on the photo you see what are your thoughts on how you would hunt this parcel. One of the main issues has always been accessing stands without spooking/scenting the area.(predominant winds have not made for easy access) I am finally considering some small food plots but only in ideal locations. The parcel has been surveyed this past year which has opened up the entire east end of property. This has never been hunted by me..(the trespassing neighbors have had a good time with it though). Knowing that I can now access the back side(east side) of this creek should really improve my situation. Crop fields are rotated annually with either beans or corn. Pine stands have been thinned and are providing some good cover. However, as you can see by image much, most, if not all of the bedding is happening on adjacent properties and/or in creek bottom. Those properties receive little bowhunting pressure...and some gun. Dotted lines represent most used deer trails. Back side of pine stands, ridge and creek are mostly beech, hickory and oak. I have opened up some of the canopy the past few years by cutting/hinge cutting many maple/box elder, etc.... In addition, I have created a decent edge around the perimeter of the crop fields with some hinge cutting. The deer have responded well to that. With that being said I appreciate your insight as to how you would access property, improve property along with stand placement. Thanks for your time and thoughts. Be well!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19pJTjO49Jv3eQ-PTgruoTnfg-S1rYrik/view?usp=sharing

2. lucicarli

lucicarli

Looks like link was not allowing anyone to view. Should be accessible now....thanks for your input

3. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

This is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

With all the surrounding ag land, I wouldn’t waste even 1/4 acre on a food plot, if you have only 40 to work with.

Instead, spend your time thickening up cover/hinge cuts/plantings to create more bedding and create a road/ATV network around the perimeter so you can better enter and exit.

You can also create travel corridors to make the deer move how you want.
    You can do so with cuttings and/or seedling plantings. A faux fence row made up of spruce trees will make deer walk right down the line.

Which county? Depending on the soil, there are some tall grasses you can plant in openings to create great bedding, instead of food plots.

4. lucicarli

lucicarli

Pinefarm
    Thanks much. I have been thinking of that as an option. I do not over hunt property and stand sightings are good. Some of the thickened up pine stands have now become bedding sites. I am worried that creating bedding so tight to my access points will create bumping deer. The property is in Genessee County. I do plan on moving some small pine to create those corridors/fencing. Also, like I said the hinging/edge feathering has really paid off. Just looking to have better daylight sightings given the major bedding is to the north about 3-400 yds away.

5. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

What r u doing with your bigger field behind the house?

6. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

If you have deer always staying on your land because it’s so attractive for them, it’s much easier to have a jumped deer still stay on your land and circle back to where jumped, than you trying to attract deer over from distant bedding areas, by way of food plots, in an area already lousy with ag land.

Remember, you want to see deer during daylight, not on a trail cam at 2am. It’s much easier to see deer while on stand that are bedding in close proximity than ones that are bedded 1/2 mile away.

If your cover is prime, even jumped deer will often try to avoid leaving it. In many cases, the deer may go 10-20 acres in thick cover, but them stop and let you walk by.

“Radio-collared bucks that survive opening weekend in heavily-hunted southwestern Wisconsin do so by holding tight to thick, wooded draws and running a circuitous route in dense, well-known cover. They do not make beelines into unknown ground.” — Bill Ishmael, wildlife manager, Wisconsin DNR

Here is why you don’t want mature, open cover.

“A whitetail won’t run far if it’s not used to being pressured by a predator. In some areas where people use vehicles to feed deer, deer might not run at all. They might trot 20 or 30 yards and watch. But if they’re pressured by a cadre of experienced hunters in mature, fairly open cover, their best protection is putting distance between themselves and the predator.” — Professor Karl V. Miller, University of Georgia.

7. lucicarli

lucicarli

That field gets planted by farmer each year. This year was beans and I will assume next is corn. Has always been their go to food source coming from north, south and east bedding. Hunt edges of this field with appropriate winds early season.

8. lucicarli

lucicarli

Agree. South pine stand has thickened into a nasty patch(and beds have been located) In addition, thicket at very southwest corner/property line behind house nearest road is a consistent doe group bedding. Maybe enhance those then, huh?

9. Dish7

Dish7

I agree with what you are saying, cover, cover and more cover. But IMO a small plot or two within thick cover can also promote daylight movement as long as you can get in and out clean. They love to hit them before heading to ag fields.

10. mbrewer

mbrewer

Solid gold on a silver plate.

11. lucicarli

lucicarli

My thought was to create two small plots: one behind barn on south edge and the other in pine stand closest to creek on east end. These would be more for a late season food source knowing that most ag fields get plowed under including ours right behind house. Thanks for your input,

12. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

I would want full control of this field behind the house, easily big enough to divide into a clover/chicory blend & fall food also. Id focus on creating pinch points/funnels in the eastern half of your property.

13. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Job #1 keep the trespassers out.

14. lucicarli

lucicarli

Working on that.....I don't own property. However, landowner might be open to idea. I intend to do just that on that east side. Now that I can access the east side of creek there is a natural pinch there where four different land sections converge. Appreciate your insight.

15. lucicarli

lucicarli

Finally, after all these years I will now be able to access east side of creek. I am fearful of retaliation to my stands, cameras, etc...though come fall when neighbor finally comes to realization that he can no longer hunt this area. We've already eliminated one trespasser with help of sheriff/dnr!