Project Ideas. Help Needed

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by eggfly, Feb 3, 2019.

1. eggfly

eggfly

C5404E83-2168-45CC-B294-7F00D0E2E9F2.jpeg 5268CA62-B1D6-417C-84C2-51E14BA9FE04.jpeg I have 2 pieces of artwork that have been in my family since the late 1970s. My dad had both hidden under his bed with the intention of doing something with them. I talked him into giving me these and I’ll have time late this spring to finally do something with them.

The first is a piece of sandstone shaped like an arrowhead that was painted by Harrison Begay. I want to build a shadow box and hang this in the wall.

The second item is a large piece of polished petrified wood. This piece is very heavy and I was thinking about building an end table.

I have or have access to all the tools needed to make the display pieces from wood. My problem is creativity. I’m a talented wood worker so skills are not an issue.

I’m having a hard time picking a species of wood and cannot visualize how to best display the petrified wood.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Blaze, Doghouse 5 and jeffm like this.
  2. Dan Jr

Dan Jr

Nice pieces..For the petrified wood, how about a bare tree stump with some of the underground roots spreading out like feet..True everything up to sit flat.. Remove all the bark and stain cherry or similar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

jiggin is livin, Blaze, mjh4 and 2 others like this.

3. eggfly

eggfly

That is a very good idea one I may need to consider. Thank you.

4. Dan Jr

Dan Jr

No problem- Good luck and post pics for us to see when it is done!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Blaze and eggfly like this.
  5. mjh4

mjh4

I think it would look cool as a small end table using a wrought iron stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

6. eggfly

eggfly

That’s what my dad always had planned for it. He never got around to it in 40 years it was in his possession. I’ve looked online and that is the most common way people display these works of art.

Blaze, Doghouse 5 and mjh4 like this.
  7. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

It's up to the imagination, but I like the "stand" idea!!!
    It just seems appropriate??!!

Please show us the final decision/ product...

Blaze, eggfly and mjh4 like this.
  8. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk

The wood cookie shares some similar colors with box elder. Box elder has some nice red grain that sometimes looks like fire. Might be too similar. Maybe a black wood instead of steel. Or burnt so it’s black. (Also a woodworker but one of those crazy hand tools only people)

flyrodder46, eggfly and Blaze like this.
  9. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Just my 2cw but I like the idea from Badger, a Black wood stand would make the piece stand out but still be different from the wrought iron type of stand.

10. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

There are a lot of ideas for a table here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pet...gAhUPOK0KHTUsDm4Q7Al6BAgAEA8&biw=1229&bih=603

eggfly likes this.
  11. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Have you gotten the Harrison Begay appraised? Might want to be sure you are property insured.

A friend had an "old picture" hanging in his deer camp when he bought it many years ago. It showed signs of age and neglect and last summer he was thinking of tossing it when another friend who knew something about art offer to get it appraised. Like paintings by the same artist were going at auction for around 5K-6K. FM

6Speed likes this.
  12. eggfly

eggfly

To be honest it has not been appraised but should be. Until recently I’ve always assumed it was not done by anyone special. Last month I started doing a little research and discovered that he has art work in museums around the country. I’ve looked at many of his pieces online and could not find anything remotely similar to what I have. I may truly have a one of a kind.

13. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

My best friend in Georgia could turn the petrified wood into a beautiful piece of furniture so I'm thinking if you look for some small furniture makers in your area you'll find one. Go see their work personally, in progress or photos of past jobs and you'll do well.

eggfly likes this.
  14. eggfly

eggfly

7188FF2B-8834-4507-8D6F-5B34F4B6958B.jpeg
    It’s not really a job I want to hire out as I have the skills but lack imagination. Here is a picture of a spiral staircase I built in 2002 or 2003. Unfortunately I didn’t get pictures of the installed product with the handrail.

I do have a question. What the hell happen to my hair in the last 17 years? Lol

jiggin is livin, mjh4 and 6Speed like this.
  15. whitetail&walleye

whitetail&walleye

man, I thought I was a carpenter when I cut my first stringers and built my first stairs.

that is awesome! how long did you have into it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk