close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problems with 8" eskimo auger

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by kb8wgb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. kb8wgb

kb8wgb

I bought a 8" eskimo hand auger last year. i first used it by hand and had problems with it not cutting a clean hole, would leave two pieces of ice at the bottom of the hole. Tried it later with a drill motor and would break through leaving only a slot cut through the ice( almost sucking me down the hole). is there something i can do to solve this problem??

2. leadbelly

leadbelly

It my sound stupid but try the swapping the blades from one side to another. I bought new blades for my lazer. It didn't want to cut at all. Took them back off and swapped them around and for some reason it cut like butter. I have no idea why

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Mine was cutting funky at first this year one blade had loosened and ice formed between the blade and the auger .

leadbelly likes this.
  4. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

I had an eskimo 8" auger once that I bent the handle on from the torque being applied and it would not cut after that. 8" is a big hole to cut by hand.

5. kb8wgb

kb8wgb

8" is only used when setting tip up. I have a 30 year old Mora in 6" when just pan fishing

6. EMU_Flyer

EMU_Flyer

ARE you pushing down when drilling? If so don't do that and let the blades do the work. Also, I see this all the time, never slam the blades down right where you are about to begin drilling. Domt walk with it like a cane.

7. kb8wgb

kb8wgb

This auger has cut like that brand new out of the box. I have had the 6" Mora for thirty year and never had a problem with it