Private land protocol

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by Gordon Casey, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Food for thought concerning wire: Back when I was a kid I was snowmobiling through relatively open woods with a coupe friends. I recall standing up to look behind me to see where they were and just as I was almost reseated a single strand wire caught me just above eye level and pealed off my hat. The area was not posted. FM

2. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

There are thousands of acres fenced with a single strand of wire. We have ours at 6' off the ground but there are no guarantee that somebody won't hit it if they are trespassing. It sounds to me like you may have hit it if had been page wire.

3. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

I'd like to think that's still possible. I know it is on ours... and I also know, when we're all sitting around the campfire, what we call the guy that buys a new peice and the first thing he does is show how proud he is of it by posting signs every 10 feet up and down every boundary.

Copied from #12-
    Having driven thru much of what state land to work for 30+ years it was easy to see when someone bought a private parcel therin--signs every 10'

Best is to find family to 'use' or lease and let them maintain..as mentioned above.

retired dundo and Forest Meister like this.
  4. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

A good care taker will be your best bet.
    Did it for one guy for 10 years on a 40 he owned. He had it just for firewood.
    All he asked was, keep trespassing off, and to not let anyone damage his property.
    With that I had full hunting rights.
    He placed it up for sale this spring, and offered it to me, but his asking price was out of my reach.
    The place has recently sold, and have been in touch with new owner. I will be removing my stands from his land, and posting the other two I have rights to.
    He has already trying to say his property extends alot further than it does.
    Rest of us now the lines, as a few years ago a guy was taking all the neighbors to court for cutting trees. So they had the lands surveyed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

My parents own some land that I have little intrest in hunting. They gave permission to the neighbor next door to hunt the property in exchange for keeping an eye on it. Something to be said about have someone local use the property and watch it.

6. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Knowing the lines and proving them are two different things. That's why you put up a single strand of smooth wire. I've been there and done that. You can't argue about a wire on a survive line

7. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

That is quite true. In this area it is not unusual to see lines move with each new survey. The monument is not found or is deliberately not used. Money talks and courts cost is an unfortunate truism. Having neighbors agree is a priceless benefit.

A new owner bought several tax lots adjacent to my home property. He claimed that the "old timers" were on His property because a utility company and a clerk told him so. He hired a surveyor to do one line as he wanted a building there. The surveyor did a complete job and not just one line. He was shocked to find that the "old timers" were right. This was especially true with me as he had been cutting trees on my side of the line. I could have sued but the trees were not worth the cost, energy, or the time in court. The value in creating better neighbor relations was worth much more.

srconnell22 and motdean like this.
  8. pgpn123

pgpn123

We put in fence posts (T posts), right after the stake survey was done. Agree, knowing and proving are different things.

Deskjockey1 and Forest Meister like this.
  9. Bob S

Bob S

This is what I did on my property. Once a year I go through and place a streamer of orange trail marking tape to each post. This way they can be seen from a distance. I only put no trespassing signs along the line that borders State land.

I also have my access trails along the property lines. This makes the lines more noticeable and I'm not moving through the center of property unnecessarily.

10. Nolan3387

Nolan3387

Let someone hunt it who will be out there regularly. Neighbors and locals will quickly notice no one is ever out there, and it will become communal for all to enjoy. Fence posts, survey stakes, signs, all useless if no one is out there.

11. retired dundo

retired dundo

If you not going to use it.i would find out if any of the neighbor are big into hunting and talk to them.And if they are good people tell them they can hunt if they watch out for the property and kick trespreser off.Also tell them a couple relatives might hunt.Have them check with neighbor.aaAnd tell relative they can’t bring other people

12. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

I agree check with bordering landowners about lease or at lease watching over property. If they are serious deer hunters it might work out really good. A guy I know purchase the property next to his when it went for sale in fear of not knowing who might buy it. The property was a little higher ground and over looked one of his 5 acre food plots. I had another buddy in the same situation property next door came for sale and he also purchase it just because he is big in to qdma and didn’t like all his young deer taken he had named. If one of the next door oor owners were like these guys you already have some interested in taking care of any possible problems.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  13. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

If you are truly buying for investment and you have no intention of using the property/hunting yourself.....why change anything? Why cause an issue that doesnt exist? If the land had no issues going into this why pay for surveys, posting, wire etc... not to mention potential arguments down the road. I would say leave good enough alone.

Why worry about one or two members or neighbors using the property?

My experience I have told before. I bought a lakefront vacant lot. My insurance company asked me to post it. That immediately drew attention and angst against me that didnt exist before it was posted. Signs were torn down. Piles of dead carp from bowfisherman on the lake showed up on my property etc..

My solution was to make a few friends. The next few people in the neighborhood who were caught enjoying my land i approached with a friendly handshake. Told them i didnt mind at all if they used my land when I wasnt there and that rule would exist until i built a home. I shared my number and told them that if anyone had issue with them being on my land to give me a call. In return i asked them to keep an eye out on things. Call me if anyone does anything destructive or is creating trouble etc..

I did this with roughly 3 locals. One was a kid fishing, one was a lady walking her dog one was another older guy reading the oaper watching the sunset.

Word got around fast that I was a decent guy. I have not had one issue with trash, no firewood stolen and not even an initial carved in my picnic table. People went back to ignoring the vacant lot on the lake.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Quig7557 likes this.
  14. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

I haven't taken possession of the land yet. I few relatives have to sign off and, of course, the court has to bless it.
    Your idea makes the most sense! When it's all said and done I plan on finding out who the neighbors are and have a conversation with them. I need to sense who they are and what their attitudes are. I purposely have not done any investigation yet waiting for everything to be finalized.
    I'm in no hurry, the land will not go away and the trust is paying all the bills.

15. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Knowing where fence lines are is not the same as posting the property and if you want to sell it there's a really good chance that the buyer will want to see w