Primitive hunt/trap camp...

Discussion in 'Primitive Skills, Bushcraft, and Survival' started by Denny jr, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jackbob42

jackbob42

Wonder why Tom hasn't jumped on this yet? He would know.

2. chamookman

chamookman

Denny - Are You staying near a water source, or packing it in ? Can never have too much rope and a extra tarp or two always comes in handy (the cheap camo tarps work well for this). I've spent many a frosty night in a Baker Lean-to wrapped up in a Buffalo Robe - rewarding experiance. Your plan sounds really cool - best of luck ! C-man

3. Denny jr

Denny jr

Should be very rewarding, well that is what I am trying for anyways. Thanks for the tips and I will be packing my own water, for any I find I believe I would have to steralize anyway.

Thanks,
    -Denny

4. upnut

upnut

Sounds like an adventure! You might check out this site:http://www.equipped.com/

Lots of good info on the safety side, just in case something does go wrong....don't want you to become a statistic!

Good Luck,
    Scott B.

5. jimbobway

jimbobway

How's the plans coming along ? I picked up a homemade teepee and hope to set it up this season for ML hunt or something. It's made out of PVC tarps with 16ft poles .Plenty of room for a fire inside .

6. Denny jr

Denny jr

plans are going good...Rhumitisim might be harsh on me but Im still gonna hoof it.

-Denny

7. popy

popy

Denny? Denny? Are you back yet? :confused:

8. Week End Redneck

Week End Redneck

Wondering myself? Was hoping to hear back from him by now and hear what a great adventure it was! Hope everything is ok. Looking forward to the details.

9. Hackman

Hackman

I know Mountain Men didn't have Baby Wipes back then but they would help you keep clean.

10. boonedock

boonedock

Sounds like a trip that my best friend and I would try to make happen, but bow hunting for deer from x-mas to new yr day. We camped in tents some time 30 below but you get used to it and we had the best time doing it. I lost him unexpectedly this yr and am still reeling from the lost.
    That Jim guy is a true artist with those boats he makes and have always dreamed of making one for myself. I use to sell osage orange staves and have met jim on a few bow outing with the for mentioned friend (Rob Serven or Rob-Bow).
    One tip for you that was past on to me by my friend is to put down a bail of straw so as your tent will not freeze to the ground. We always used good canvas tents too, and the best is the Panther Primitive tent company. I have bought two tents from them and one is 20 yrs old and still looks like it did the first yr I used it.
    If you get a beaver try cooking it, the mountain men ate it and you can say you did to, it taste like Vaseline. And the tail hide is great for primitive bow grips.
    Good luck and dont plan on going tell yourself I am going and thats it.Plan your hunt and hunt your plan, thats what we always said.