Primitive hunt/trap camp...

Discussion in 'Primitive Skills, Bushcraft, and Survival' started by Denny jr, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Denny jr

Denny jr

This season I am planning on taking it all to a new level (to me, anyways). I want to step it up a notch, and do it like the oldtimers did it back in the fur boom. Late November or early September, Im starting to plan a two week excursion out in the national forest, where Ill set up camp and hike to my hunting spot, and have a trapline laid throughout that area. I really want to do this, for Im thirty years old and I have rhumatoid, and its starting to set in already. I want this BEFORE it gets bad enough to where I wont be able to do it, ya know?

Anyway, I thought this forum would be the best place to post my questions, so here goes the first string:

Im packing my back packs (3 total) with the things Im going to need to survive a max two weeks in michigan weather, so I need to know what all I will be needing. I THINK I know, but I dont want to screw this up. I am a military veteran, so I am trained for this sort of thin, but I want to know what you guys (the REAL experts) would pack.

Also, how whould you guys set up your site? I have diagramed out how I would do it, but again....you know. I would set my tent up and set up a fire pit in front of it, the entire length of the tent. I would set up a dry area for wood...I have waterproof containers for kinder and starting apperatis, and a good old metal match, just in case. I would make an area for skinning my fur out and bags for the furs to be tied up in and twine to raise them off the ground away from critters. I have other Ideas also, but I would like your feedback.

What do you guys think??! Can ya help a guy out so I can get this....whatever it is out of the way? I really want to do this, and I really want to LIVE through it!! Thats why Im being thorough.
    Thanks guys,
    -Denny

2. jimbobway

jimbobway

When does trapping season start ?

3. Denny jr

Denny jr

Oct. 31st. I will start laying traps around end of nov. I plan this trip around then, about when the snow flies and the furs are good and prime. Its more like an adventure to me than anything.

4. HemlockNailer

HemlockNailer Premium Member

Denny, you need to speak to Thunderhead (a member here) this is right up his alley. I remember he was going to set up a primitive winter outing last year. Don't know how it turned out, but I think he could help you with this. Also there is a fellow in Mikado, Jim Miller. He teaches primitive skills and crafts and is right in your area. Good luck, sounds like quite an adventure. Keep us posted.

5. trout

trout

That Miller guy is soo old I think he knew the original Mt men.
    Tell him I said HI

6. Denny jr

Denny jr

Hem, I see your from around the way in east tawas, I used to live in east tawas on W. Washington, and I got a buddy that lives on Lincoln (east, I thiink), and another that lives on Main st. by Neuman...

How is the pier doing this year? I used to nail cats but I heard it went down hill:mad:! Do you know the guy your talking about personally? Just wondering on how I would look him up. Also, do you do much hunting around here? I do alot of k9 hunting in Whittemore on private land, but I plan on hunting the National Forest this year and if you do any hunting maybe we could get together sometime?? Just a thought. Thanks for the info any ways...anything else would help, if anyone wants to share some ideas Im open to them...pms are welcome also.
    Thanks,
    -Denny

7. HemlockNailer

HemlockNailer Premium Member

Sorry Denny, I don't know him personely and don't have a # for him. Have seen him at several outdoor shows and activitys, he is very talanted. He has been commissoned to build full scale birch canoes. You might check with the Oscoda Chamber of Commerence, they may know how to contact him. As far as the fishing, I am waiting for Nov. for the whitefish to show at the state dock. Haven't heard much about the cats but they were getting a few after dark at the mouth of the Tawas River a month ago. Yes I do hunt,will send a pm later. If you want to try for whites I can help you with that. Alan

8. trout

trout

I know Jim real well.
    I used to hang around with him in the early 90s at his house near Port Huron
    Well made stick bows and fired pottery,.

He and I bow hunted together for deer and squirrels a number of times.
    We also hunted with the late Lou Becker of Bowsport archery.

Jim is a great guy.

9. popy

popy

Make sure you check w/ the US Forest Service for any permits you may need, let them know your location also. Be careful fer them bear and hunters. Shoot, I had to come back and edit this, I forgot something VERY important!!!! VITAMINS are a must!!!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  10. Denny jr

Denny jr

Popy,

Thanks for the advice...good stuff. I talked with the DNR day before yesterday while I was out in the trails, just sort of bumped into him...you know how they hide in the woods...LOL! Anyway, I was out with my daughter small gameing for some squirrel and I talked with him about anything I would need, legal-wise. Im covered in that area now. BTW...we got a squirrel! One. My daughter is the NOISIEST hunter I have ever been in the woods with!!!!! It was a blast though. She is turning six next month, so it was her first outing for squirrel and I told her Id take her on my trap line this year too...just gonna have to teach her a thing or two first!
    -Denny

11. Denny jr

Denny jr

Trout,
    If you think he might be able to help me, do you know how to get hold of him? If so, pm me.

Thanks,
    Denny

12. trout

trout

Google Willow Winds Jim Miller you'll contact him.
    Tell him Kirk said Hello

13. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Sound like a fun and worthwhile adventure.

14. Denny jr

Denny jr

Yes, I believe it will be, as long as I can get all the essentials down to safely complete it. Im trying to figure out what all my pack needs to have in it so I can be as safe and least threatened as possible. There are alot of varibles that need to be accounted for before I feel compfortable heading into the deep woods alone at winter time. If anyone wants to put their two cents in as to what I need for the trip, it is welcomed.

Thanks,
    -Denny

15. Denny jr

Denny jr

BTW, Steve, love the signature! Im a big fan of Deadliest Catch and, Im not even gonna lie, when Phil past it felt like I lost a close friend. Good choice.

-Denny