Pressures

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by jordanbishop_2012, Jun 12, 2020.

1. jordanbishop_2012

jordanbishop_2012

How does barometric pressure effect fishing activity spikes? Got this beauty. Osceola county Snapchat-1892712994.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Welcome to the site...

3. U D

U D

Most of the time.

6Speed likes this.
  4. jordanbishop_2012

jordanbishop_2012

That's obvious lol. I'm asking what levels do you guys notice... when the activity spikes occur?

5. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

When it's dropping hard 2-3 days before a full moon is the best. The problem with this is usually the four letter word, WORK.

You can catch fish anytime so go when you can. Like people, they eat every day. Hope this helps.

U of M Fan likes this.
  6. jordanbishop_2012

jordanbishop_2012

Oh I know you can catch anytime!! I've been going 4 days a week on state land. Before or after work and days off. I've caught 2 dozen bass and dozen bluegill each time off the banks. And I'll haul kayaks out there! Rough trail but worth it!! I work for Lume in the cultivation so I get my WORK done and hit the waters.

7. jordanbishop_2012

jordanbishop_2012

Also looking for tips when the activity is up seeing how the big ones are less active maybe more picky most days and the little ones hit more so.. so if I knew how the pressure drops work I can try to plan it. I caught this 18inch Bass third cast!! right before a huge storm rolled in.

8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

OK, start a fishing log since you're able to fish more than some. Time, water temp, air temp, barometric pressure, wind speed, wind direction, cloud cover, what hat you're wearing (), etc and tracking for a couple of months and report back! Sounds like you're doing great and catching a bunch of fish, good for you!

sweet lou, MichiFishy and MickL like this.
  9. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

OK, making sense now, sorry. You're after the big bass right? Try a similar forum down south like Georgia, Alabama, etc. The same patterns happen there as here but at different times of the year. I don't target bass now days but I was trying to help!

jordanbishop_2012 likes this.
  10. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

Steady or slowing falling barometer has been best for me. It is rare, but I have slayed them on high pressure, sunny days as well...but that's because I mainly go when I can. Given my choice, I like low pressure. Less affect on the fish's swim bladder...

jordanbishop_2012 and MichiFishy like this.
  11. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

I work so much that I can only go when I can be off for limited times. So I really never pay attention but it is an interesting topic. I’ll be fishing next Wednesday-Friday so hopefully the barometer is moving in a way that helps me catch fish. LOL

jordanbishop_2012 likes this.
  12. MickL

MickL

Can be difficult to separate the effect of barometer from the effect of water temperature. For a day or 2 before a cold front arrives, often water temp is rising and barometer is stable or falling. Then after the front passes water temp is falling and barometer is high.

jordanbishop_2012 and TK81 like this.
  13. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

My guess is that you will pound them. Over here on the west side at least, the barometer is a slow drop all week starting in about an hour. See the black line at the bottom of the graph:
    https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/mi/cedar-springs
    upload_2020-6-14_8-30-47.png

There are also a lot of guys that follow the solunar calendar. I look at it for ice fishing mainly.
    https://www.in-fisherman.com/content/best-fishing-times/245806
    upload_2020-6-14_8-33-21.png

But I'm like you. I go when I can. Had some great days in east winds with a non-favorable barometer and a poor solunar day. Some fish species seem to be less affected by these factors.

14. waldowillie

waldowillie

For what it's worth:

"The best fishing periods often occur when barometric pressure reaches its lowest point just before the front arrives. After the storm passes, high pressure arrives, and the giant hand presses down harder. The water is compacted, and fish find it harder to swim."

15. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Possibly a better explanation would be that high pressure has a negative impact on the entire food chain starting with the smallest species and moving up the chain. While catching bass or other predators can be become harder during high pressure, they will still bite if you put the right bait in front of their noses. From my experience, that means smaller baits, worked a lot slower than normal. Sometimes it requires you to throw a soft plastic bait out and let it just sit motionless on the bottom for several minutes at a tim.

Also, I have noticed that bass in rivers where a decent amount of current is present don't seem to be nearly as inactive as fish in lakes/ponds.

TK81 likes this.