close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power drill ice auger, how do you like it?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by dafuzz89, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Bfalko

Bfalko

Yes it’s in low gear and in drill mode. It is the full size brushless M18 cat #2703. Not the compact drill. We were on good ice and it’s happening before any slush gets in the hole. Blades are very sharp so not pushing down either. It doesn’t slow down it just stops.

2. stevieblunder

stevieblunder

The best auger to run with the cordless drill set-up is the old tried and true blue mora. I have a 8" black lazer that is just too aggresive and likes to bind up. My old blue 8" mora cuts smooth as silk and just as fast. I never clear the shavings out of the hole no matter how thick the ice is. A guy could buy a mora and probably 5 sets of new blades over it's lifetime for the price of a K-drill. Sorry but I just gotta say it. Who in their right mind would possibly spend $250 on a K-drill? M-18, $300+K-drill, $250+Clam Plate, $60 =around $610.00! WOW! I have $350 wrapped up in my 1090 in. pound Makita set-up with the Mora. It has all the power and life with two batteries than I could possibly use in one day. I drill holes for half the guys on the lake.

newaygogeorge and jancoe like this.

3. y2ba

y2ba

Who said i was in my right mind? And if it makes you feel better...I’ve got less than 350$ into my setup...and it’s a gem! Enjoy your Mora, I’m glad it works for you.

Fishsmith85 likes this.
  4. stevieblunder

stevieblunder

5. UplandnWaterfowl

UplandnWaterfowl Premium Member

Ok something is not right, a 2703 (several of us have the 2704 but that should not make any difference the 4 has hammer mode that you are not using anyway) with a 2703 + K drill you should be able to drill all the way to China without stopping. None of us experienced any drill stopping and we have been in +11 ice for weeks.

I would take a stack of 2x4's pieces and put a 1 inch drill bit on it and see if the drill reacts the same way, that drill can take way more then you can load it with a K drill.

Also don't rule out operator's error, it is easy to lift off the trigger and with the brake function on this drill it will stop immediately, not like other drills that slow down, this drill has a "hard break" function as a safety feature, with the torque on this drill, you want it to stop immediately if you lift off, even a quarter rotation could break something on your body.

So punch it and no downward force, let the K drill do its magic, if you feel it grabbing, lift up but don't let off, you will get the feel.

6. Bfalko

Bfalko

Ok it does feel like the hard brake you describe. He is going out tomorrow. I’ll let him know to keep pressure on the trigger. Lol thanks for your reply

7. Bfalko

Bfalko

His main reason for buying the k is because the curved shaver type blades become worthless very quickly in sandy ice. The k blades are sharpenable and don’t have to be super sharp to work. Good information though. Thanks

8. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

I definitely don’t have $600 wrapped up into my setup but I did already have the drill plus I sold the 8” mora with its handle that came with the clam plate and got some money back from that. I bet I’ve cut well over 1000 holes with the k-drill through all sorts of ice conditions and never had to sharpen the blades. You still have over $400 dollars wrapped into your setup and you only got 2 batteries where as mine came with 3. I like mine and you like yours. Plus like stated before “who said anything about being in their right mind”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

"The best auger to run with the cordless drill set-up is the old tried and true blue mora."
    Have been preaching this for some time myself. I've got buddies in the trades, none of their drills are dedicated for ice fishing, they're running Dewalts, Milwaukee's and Ridged drills, some use the black Lazer, others the blue Mora, all have noticed the Mora to be less aggressive and gets more holes per charge. I'm cheap, I'm running the Ryobi P251 18V brushless hammer drill. Got it from HD along with a free other tool! I also have both the Lazer and Mora augers both in 6", the Mora does go easier on the drill and operator but it will turn both augers with satisfactory results. As far as sharping goes the flat Mora blades aren't really any harder to sharpen than a pocket or hunting knife while the curved Lazer blade can be a challenge are best left to the professionals if you want them OEM sharp! What I like best about this set up is that I throw the crank handle in the sled, it does take up much room and provides cheap insurance just in case! ;)

walleyerick, Sturat and billfer like this.
  10. y2ba

y2ba

Burksee, if i have to drill an 8” hole in 20” of ice with a Mora......I’m going to the bar!

Burksee likes this.
  11. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Although we didn't move around much "back in the day" we used to spud thru that much ice to fish, it sucks getting old.... :bloos:

fishbuster, Sturat and y2ba like this.
  12. gilly

gilly

Bens Outdoors in Marlette has 6" k drill on sale for $190

Sturat likes this.
  13. stevieblunder

stevieblunder

The laser has the curved blades. I would never even think of trying to sharpen them. I have sharpened the mora blades before though. In any event you are correct concerning the sandy ice dulling the blades. I try and avoid dirty ice at all costs, including trash or cigarette butts. Also never let the auger blades touch bottom.

14. BFG

BFG

Like the snowmobile guys say...you gotta "send it" when you hit the trigger on the drill. I've found a happy medium with the Ridgid in that once I'm through about 4" of ice I'll clear the shavings a touch and that seems to help the process along tremendously if you do it a couple times as you go through. Another great thing I've found is that I can virtually leave my ice scoop at home because the k-drill cleans the hole of about 95% of the slush.

I've had my drill stop on me a couple times. First couple times you are like..."what..." but then 10 seconds later you are finishing the hole. It takes a bit of getting used to, but if big dumb me can figure it out, anyone can.

Is it perfect? No, but unlike a power auger I can use my drill 365 days a year around home if needed. With the lifetime warranty on the drill and batteries from Ridgid...it was a no brainer. I don't ice fish 1/10th as much as most guys on here do, but for me at least the k drill was a great solution to the power auger question.

My k-drill came from Glens as well, and I paid $219 for the 8" auger and cover with free shipping.

y2ba and Sturat like this.
  15. out2fish

out2fish

How does the k drill hold up to ice build up on the blades in below freezing temperatures? The problem I have with my laser blades is that ice continually builds on the blades after several uses and makes it hard to drill holes.