close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power drill ice auger, how do you like it?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by dafuzz89, Jan 7, 2018.

1. msfcarp

msfcarp

Haven’t really ran a side by side comparison, I would guess not because you can feel the drill working harder with the K-Drill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. y2ba

y2ba

I put my Dewalt/kdrill to the test this weekend. I’ve used it plenty, and it works great. This weekend i had 4 other guys with me on the bay and i drilled all the holes. I’ve been carrying 2 6ah 20/60 volt max batteries, and a 5ah. I cut 30 holes with the 5ah and a 8” kdrill in 14-16” of ice. It’s light, cuts fast and no gas to mix...couldn’t be happier. I’m confident in it now to only carry 2 batteries and leave the gasser at home. Only downfall I’ve run into is it won’t fit in my digger rack. Gonna fab something up quick here with a set of rhino grips. Not a fan of bungees holding expensive gear.

Sturat likes this.

3. just afew

just afew

Do you like the mora set up better? I am at the point of switching to a drill set up but don't know if the k drill is the way I want to go. I have been watching it for years but i guess it has not fully convinced me, not enough to spend the money on it yet.

4. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

I've used others that my buddies have is what sold me on it and got mine from Frank's. I've only drilled a couple dozen holes with my rig but so far so good!

5. y2ba

y2ba

The ice master worked great for me. Just pay attention to the bungee. Mine broke and my auger ended up on the bottom. Managed to fish it out with a magnet....then bought a clam plate the next day.

6. msfcarp

msfcarp

Not sure if I “like” the Mora set up better, they really are pretty equal as far as drilling. The Mora seems to be easier on the drill than the K-drill, I wanted the K-drill because imo the Mora blades dull easily, and are hard to sharpen yourself.

Kind of nitpicking, their both great setups and I don’t foresee ever firing up my Jiffy ever again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. woodie slayer

woodie slayer

who has the best price on a kdrill?

8. y2ba

y2ba

I found my 8” for 219$ free shipping...Glensoutdoors.com. I had it in 3 days

BFG likes this.
  9. msfcarp

msfcarp

I believe I paid $219 at Franks, the price had dropped $20 in the couple weeks I was looking to buy. It was the last 8” on the floor at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. msfcarp

msfcarp

Correction, I paid $239 at Franks.

11. y2ba

y2ba

Looks like that’s what Glens is asking now too. Keep your eyes peeled. Someone will be running a sale soon

12. Bfalko

Bfalko

My buddy got a new Kdrill/Milwaukee 18v fuel set-up and is having a slight issue. Cutting holes in 11" of ice last weekend. About 3/4 through on each hole the drill stops. Release the trigger and start again and it continues through. This is with a fresh battery and from the first hole to the last. Anyone else experience this? Why might this be happening?

13. Bfalko

Bfalko

My buddy got a new Kdrill/Milwaukee 18v fuel set-up and is having a slight issue. Cutting holes in 11" of ice last weekend. About 3/4 through on each hole the drill stops. Release the trigger and start again and it continues through. This is with a fresh battery and from the first hole to the last. Anyone else experience this? Why might this be happening?

14. y2ba

y2ba

Make sure he has it in drill mode and on the low setting. Other than that I’m no help. I think theses newer drills have a shutoff when they get too hot. Which model fuel does he have? That’s a lot of auger for a compact drill

Fishsmith85 likes this.
  15. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

You’ll want to clear the slush from the hole when drilling through thick ice. That slush creates a lot of resistance so just lift the auger while it’s still running and it’ll throw the slush out of the hole. Hope this helps.