close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power drill ice auger, how do you like it?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by dafuzz89, Jan 7, 2018.

1. BFG

BFG

Used my Ridgid/k-drill combo with 4ah battery for the first time last weekend. 8" auger through 10-12" of ice in about 12 seconds. Drilled 7 holes. Got home 5 hours later and was only down 1 bar on the charger.

The Ridgid barely meets the specs for inch pounds of torque recommended. The Fuel is waaay beyond what is recommended. For no more than I ice fish, the Ridgid will do the job for me just fine. I believe I got the drill/impact combo plus two 4ah batteries a couple years ago for like $185.

I carry the combo around at the chuck on the drill. Can't see how that could possibly be doing any harm. There is nothing in the literature provided by k-drill that suggests carrying the combo around by the composite flights could potentially damage the drill.

As mentioned above, get the $15.00 clam adapter for the ice anchors. Talk about making a PITA job easy...wow.

Sturat and William H Bonney like this.
  2. shrek527

shrek527

I say spend the money and get the fuel. First year we tried the drill/auger combo, we went with the dewalt drill and burned it out real quick. Second time on the ice and it was toast. Less then a 50 holes. I don’t remember the specs on the drill we bought, but it turned me away from dewalt, especially for being used as an auger. Get the fuel and you won’t be disappointed.

fishbuster likes this.

3. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

When it comes to a drill for augers. Hammer drills are prefered because of their metal gears, torque they put out. That $99 Dewalt drill will more than likely fail fairly quick. It didn't specify torque and the size of batteries it comes with. Judging by the price it would come with 2ah batteries which won't last long either.

I burned up a Milwaukee fuel. This would've been it's 3rd season on the ice. I bought it used, Im guessing I punched 6,000 holes with it and used it year round around the house. I got my $80 out of it, I didn't feel the slightest bit let down. It's still usable, just overheats after 5-8 holes in a row. Going to send it in for a rebuild and use it as a back up.

Picked up a new one from Joe(number I posted a couple pages back). Back to non stop shredding ice!

4. shrek527

shrek527

Agree with everything duck hunter said. When we tried the drill / auger combo the first time, and made our purchases, we didn’t have the info we have now about needing hammer drills for the torque and upgraded internals.

5. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Yes, but I got it for over a 100 less.

6. mkroulik

mkroulik

7. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

If the Ridgid's I have ever die, I'll probably try out the Milwaukee.

Honestly, I'd like to see what you guys do to these drills to burn 'em out??
    I have 2 Ridgid's, one is nearly 20 years old, the other is 10, and I beat the PISS outta these things, breakfast, lunch & dinner and they still work like the day I bought 'em.

twowack and BFG like this.
  8. mkroulik

mkroulik

I have a Ridgid but it seems to struggle with the 8” auger even with new blades. Thought I would try the Milwaukee.

Mike

9. Ranger Ray

10. The Rev.

The Rev.

Just bought the Ridgid combo advertised in this thread on Saturday and will be running it this weekend. Best part was the deal included an offer of another free tool so I grabbed another sawzall just cause.

twowack and BFG like this.
  11. mkroulik

mkroulik

12. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    $175 bucks on eBay.

13. Ranger Ray

2704-22 is the 2 battery and charger.

14. U.P Dreamin'

U.P Dreamin'

Milwaukee M18 Brushless with 5" Lazer.

Running 5ah batteries, I drilled 43 holes through 6" of ice this weekend and still had half a charge left on my first battery. I have 3 of them.