close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power drill ice auger, how do you like it?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by dafuzz89, Jan 7, 2018.

1. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

That's my concern! I have a "plexi-glass, frisbee protector" on my adapter, but in the process of drilling a hole the other day the chuck came loose and the auger fell. The frisbee caught it, but I couldn't see it from all the shavings built up around the hole. Panic set in for a second there.

2. neazor91

neazor91

I see the drills used are Milwaukee, Makita, rigid, and Dewalt. As I look on line, each has several models. I'm wondering which specific models would be best.
    The old gas auger is getting to be a pain to use.

3. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Ridgid or Milwaukee would be my first two options.

4. jstanley9798

jstanley9798

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1515469477.787272.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1515469493.989590.jpg
    Looks like Rigid is having the pick another cordless tool for free deal again. I jumped on this last year. Can’t beat this!

Cohojoe and twowack like this.
  5. jancoe

jancoe

Working in a trade that basically requires a cordless drill in your hand at all times I would have to say Makita and Milwaukee are on top of the rest out there. There are several others out there that offer great combos. But they tend not to last as long or have the power others do. 2 of the guys I work with run rigid and warranty return time seems to be 6 weeks anytime they have used it. As for my makita stuff, the only thing I ever warrantied was a charger. And that was returned in 4 days.

Cohojoe likes this.
  6. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I will let you all in on a secret. A guy on Craigslist sells Milwaukee and other brands as well. He offers refurbished and new equipment. By far the best deals I have seen. You can get a Milwaukee m18 for $70, chargers are $28 and batteries are dang near half priced(compared to lowes and home depot.) I was just over there the other day and got a 5amp battery for $60..

His name is Joe, tell him Justyn sent ya.
    Phone calls only(DO NOT Text) (734) 878-2015

7. mkroulik

mkroulik

The drill is the only way to go in my opinion. I guess if we have 2 feet of ice and I want to put in 100 8" holes, I'll bring the gas auger but I don't see that happening often.

If you have a pop up Shanty, get the adapter for the ice anchors, man is that handy as hell and well worth the $15.

Mike

BFG likes this.
  8. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

My whole garage is orange & black with lifetime warranties, however I've heard the same thing about warranty service with Ridgid, they take forever and make you jump through hoops. Luckily I've never had to warranty anything.

9. Dubllung4

Dubllung4

I have the 1/2" M18 Fuel and couldn't be happier. We have a very large fab shop with hundreds of M18 tools being used all day every day and I don't have any complaints. I bought the kit with the impact and bring the impact out on the ice to run my ice screws (decking screws) in for the shanty. Same battery and hardly takes up any space. Also bring my M18 flashlight out for packing up and navigation in the dark.

Quick note-I see a lot of guys buying the M18 compact thinking its the full size. I am sure the compact will do the job OK but I would definitely recommend the full size. I'd agree that the Clam plate is a waste of money with the handle that Milwaukee provides.

10. motocross269

motocross269

Yes it does have a handle..It's a Dewalt 996...but why not just get the Clam plate and then I don't have to worry about unchucking it every time I use it and get some protection against banging around in the sled or truck?? I throw my drill on the auger at the beginning of the year and it stays there..The Clam plate also adds to the life of the drill by eliminating some of the side torque..It also fits in my auger rack on my Quad better...and by the time I put some type of frisbee deal on it to keep it from going down the hole I may as well get a Clam plate...
    But either way...Different strokes for different folks....That is why there is so many choices out there...If what you do works for you...Great....That is the good thing about today's world...There are a million different ways to get any job done..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  11. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

I tried the compact and it fell short drilling a hole without stopping several times with a 6 " drill .

12. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    I seen his adds andI almost bought from him until I found a great deal on Ebay.

13. toppm

toppm

I had to replace a bad battery last week. I called them last Wednesday and got it yesterday( Tuesday). Went to Home Depot and almost choked the young and cocky customer service guy when he looked and at me like I was nuts when I told him I needed a new battery. He insisted I had to send in the drill, charger, and battery. I called Rigid and just needed the serial numbers off of each.
    Not too Big a deal, just remember to register each product. This is the 3rd time I replaced batteries in about 12 years of owning one. Better than paying for them!

14. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Wow, that's nice. I thought they used a 3rd party warranty company?

15. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Luv my ridgid/clam plate/lazer combo. Would never go back to hand or gas auger. Not smelling like gas all day is priceless

junglecat likes this.