close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power drill ice auger, how do you like it?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by dafuzz89, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Pier2pier

Pier2pier

When I'm drilling the holes, I use the Kovac II IceMaster for my strikemaster augers (8 and 6 inch). Make sure you get a good drill and batteries. I started with a craftsman 19.2v drill with old batteries and I could only get a couple holes. I bought a factory rebuilt RIGID 18 volt for cheaper than replacing the craftsman's batteries as I figured I wouldn't mind losing it to the elements. I blew out the clutch on the 1st hole I tried to drill (there was like 18 + inches of ice). Oh well - guess I planned out my failure perfectly.

These days I let my son most of the holes by hand.. He seems to like it and it's a good workout for a young buck. I do keep the drill with me though (back to the craftsman with new batteries). I also like to use the drill for the shanty stakes as predrilling helps get a good anchor.

Anyway, Kovac's site has a lot of info. I remember that I sent an email and received a phone call based on my initial questions.

http://icemasteradapter.com/

They have a recommendation page for best results.
    http://icemasteradapter.com/recommendations/

2. Stand By

Stand By

Does that have a hammer selection. One of the reasons for the milwuakee was for the heavy duty gearing fo hammer mode.

3. y2ba

y2ba

4. y2ba

y2ba

5. ajkulish

ajkulish

You do not want to use the hammer setting. People use hammer drills because they typically have metal gears to withstand the impact that goes along with using the hammer function. The hammer function does not offer any upside, if anything just noisier.

The above dewalt drill is a fantastic drill.

6. stevieblunder

stevieblunder

The clam plate is a waste of money. It's just more stuff to haul. Totally unnecessary. As far as the drill I use a Makita 18v LST.

Cohojoe likes this.
  7. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Not sure why guys even use the side handle. The K Drill cuts like butter.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  8. jstanley9798

jstanley9798

That DeWalt drill is a fantastic drill for building decks. When I first bought my 6” NILS. I used that drill. Because it was what I already had at home. Just about burned it up. Also, it only has 2AH batteries. I switched to the Ridgid hammer drill with 4AH batteries and will never kill the batteries in a FULL day of fishing. Again, the hammer mode is NOT used. You just benefit from the higher torque. You do want at a minimum 4AH batteries. This info is geared if you plan to do alot of moving.

Cohojoe likes this.
  9. piperjrc

piperjrc

Clam plate with Home Depot Ridgid hammer drill on drill setting( more torque )cuts like butter and the drill and battery warranty for life

10. ajkulish

ajkulish

Ah OK. I speculated, because I had that drill for a while and it was the only one I could never stop. But thinking back I might have had a larger battery as well, they were always hooking us up. (worked at company that owns Dewalt) I never got to use the hammer version

11. Stand By

Stand By

Correct, I should've added that. Stay out of hammer mode. Also whats nice over a gas auger, when you let go of the trigger, the electric auger stops right now. Makes for a safe side effect, but is also tough on the gears as the auger itself want to keep turning. Especially the larger diameter ones.

12. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

I tested mine during the summer and it’s enough to float it. I have no doubt I would just have to reach down and grab it if it ever did come loose.

13. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I wouldn't doubt that it would float. I would be more concerned with it going under the ice then floating up outside of the hole it just cut.. Thats when the true fun would start.

14. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

My Milwaukee drill also came with 3 5ah batteries. I used it all last year and this year so far and on ice 3-6 inches I have never gone through more than one battery and on houghton lake last year there was probably 16” and I never went through 2 full batteries all day. The k drill cuts so easy I don’t even put the handle on the drill. I do have a geared clam plate I have yet to use , figured I’d wait till thicker ice to see if it really does allow you to cut more inches of ice. I had an Eskimo 33c stingray for a few years and it was hard starting and would bog down while drilling holes to the point where I would have to pump the gas primer to keep it from stalling out.

15. Jiggin Jay

Jiggin Jay

Maybe he wants to have a conversation about it, not sit and read old non active posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk