Power drill ice auger, how do you like it?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by dafuzz89, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jr.BowmanMI

Jr.BowmanMI

I am running a 6in Mora and an 18v home Depot special dewalt drill. With 2 batteries I can drill 20 holes. Looking to upgrade drills soon.

2. UplandnWaterfowl

UplandnWaterfowl Premium Member

@out2fish yes, on those bitter cold days the cutting teeth can get an ice build up. Either chip it away to clear or on those days the kdrill stays in the warm shanty which also is better for battery life.

3. y2ba

y2ba

I just hit the trigger after my last hole and spin the water/slush/ ice off of it. You lay any wet auger in the snow and you’ll have build up. I treat it just like any other auger I’ve had...no problems. My batteries haven’t been affected by the cold either. They just won’t re charge until they are warm.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    toppm, hogman, Sturat and 1 other person like this.
  4. msfcarp

msfcarp

Exactly, the K-drill is no different than a Mora or my Jiffy, keep the blades out of the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. BFG

BFG

First time I fished with the k-drill it was 8 degrees and -20 wind chill. I noticed some ice buildup after the first three holes. Put the auger in the shanty with us and in about 15 minutes was able to knock off the ice. Next holes I drilled I ran the auger in reverse while pulling up and boom....no more slush/ice on the blades. I put the auger in the sled, take the batteries off the drill and keep them my bucket in the shanty.

Sturat likes this.
  6. Cohojoe

Cohojoe

Mr. fish smith has a good point, the k drill does not remove the slush as easily as a mora or lazer or nills. You must back it out a time or two while drilling deep holes to remove excess slush. Don't think it's any faster or better than any of the other ones except for the fact that it has a power point at the tip that allows you to drill holes overlapping other holes. You can take a 6" auger and drill a cloverleaf pattern and have a 12" hole. Just seen new carbon fiber lazer. Really want to check one out.

7. Cohojoe

Cohojoe

Millwaukee makes different types of hammer drills. If you have a larger auger you need the biggest one. Sharp blades help a lot. And the bigger the battery the better. Also maybe your drill may have an issue with it. Millwaukee is a better brand but are not perfect. Many people have had problems with millwaukee products before. Maybe it needs to be inspected. If it's new it would be covered under the warranty

8. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

“Mr. Fish Smith” I’m going to make my friends call me that from now on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msfcarp likes this.
  9. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

I got to take the K-Drill/Milwaukee rig for a test drive last weekend. Truly impressive unit!

y2ba and msfcarp like this.
  10. fishbuster

fishbuster

I'm running the Milwaukee m18 fuel. The problem I am having , is the side handle does not stay tight. I can drill 2 holes . Have to unscrew the handle then reposistion the handle jaws and retighten . Anyone else have this problem . Is the solution to take a pair of channel locks to the handle to torque it tight. Have only used the hammer drill for the ice so far. Plan on using it for other jobs and wonder if it will do this with other jobs. Pain in the kister .

msfcarp likes this.
  11. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

I did notice that the side handle on the Fuel seemed cheap & flimsy, compared to the Ridgid.

msfcarp likes this.
  12. fishbuster

fishbuster

Not very well designed that's for sure. I like taking the m18 apart for travel . I have no problem returning the m18 if I see the handle setup is better. But the performance of the m18 form is awesome but it is also the only one I've used. So I guess it's the channel locks if I want to keep the m18

William H Bonney and msfcarp like this.
  13. msfcarp

msfcarp

Drilling 18-20” of ice definitely works out the Milwaukee, more so than the Mora set-up. The K-drill has a more aggressive cut, IMO.

Too many holes too fast will heat up the drill. And yes, big Milwaukee fan here but the side handle is sort of flimsy.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

fishbuster likes this.
  14. shrubmasters@gmail.com

shrubmasters@gmail.com

A drop of blue loctite should take care of the problem. Did for me. Don’t over tighten using the plastic handle. Good chance it will break away from the shaft. Get out there MS!!! Shrubby

fishbuster likes this.