close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Potential future hunting dog owner...

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by bigsmooth, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Socks

Socks

My opinion, nothing more. Spend the money on a started lab. Get one with basic obedience, collar conditioned, and force fetched. It should be doing singles and doubles. The breeder and/or local club should help you learn to "drive"/"run" your dog. Don't buy into the puppy bonding stuff. My dog was 1 year old when I got him and he was the dog of a lifetime. Expect to spend around $2000. I know it's a lot up front, but a well bred puppy will run $1000 plus or minus 200. A started dog will have pro training on it and the basic obedience will make having the dog in the house and around kids a lot easier and a joy when the dog listens to you. My $0.02.

PA BUCK 2 likes this.
  2. bigsmooth

bigsmooth

I’d like to check out some good breeders here in Michigan. Looking for quality lab and pudelpointer breeders to begin a dialogue with. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TSPham

TSPham

I'm in Lowell with a 7 year-old pointing lab and a 2 year-old pudelpointer. We have raised ducks, chickens, quail, and still keep pigeons.

You're welcome to visit if you want to see both breeds. Both hunt upland, waterfowl, sheds, and training to blood trail (lab is semi retired with CCL injuries).

We previously had a shorthair before the pudelpointer. I am sold on the pudelpointer breed (this is our second pudelpointer). Both of our pudelpointers have been the easiest to train and earliest to "chill out" in the house, even with kids.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    PA BUCK 2 likes this.
  4. PA BUCK 2

PA BUCK 2

You wont find a PP breeder in Michigan yet. There are breeders in Ohio- Ripsnorters, Oxbow, I80 gundogs, Killabucks, Illinois- Flatlanders, Shore thing PP and a bunch in MN- Rockcreek, SuddenValley, Marshland... Hope that helps.

5. bigsmooth

bigsmooth

Well my timeline may have changed a little. We had to put our dog down earlier this week. He was our beloved family member. Max was a 17yr old Rhodesian Ridgeback/Boxer mix. Best dog I have ever had. He had a good ride.

I've been reading and researching a lot. I'm pretty sure our next dog will be a lab, and I am starting to check out some breeders. Any advice on some good ones is appreciated. We are doing a family cruise in July so I am looking to wait until after then to bring one home so I am looking hard now to find a breeder to get a deposit in.

6. Alex Andrzejewski

Alex Andrzejewski

As Greatest Hunter in the World said, don't discount spaniels. My year old cocker spent the fall chasing birds, retrieved everything from Teal to Canadians in the marsh, and had a successful season on grouse and woodcock. I spend most of my time in the grouse woods, and after growing up around Weimaraner's I was amazed at the drive and ability of that little 30lbs dog. I don't duck hunt in the ice and snow, as a member of a younger and softer generation I just don't like the cold ;) If you're like me and enjoy having a wonderful companion in the home and a hell of a little gun dog in the field that will just amaze you with their tenacity and ability, a spaniel would be the way to go. But thats just my two cents.

7. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope the new pup or dog helps in healing and or comforting you and your family's hearts.
    That being said do not be in a hurry take the time to do your research. Make sure hips are OFA' d on sire and dam for labs you need eyes and elbows checked as well on sire and dam. You may want to look at a started dog what ever breed you decide on especially if you have any doubt in your ability on training.

I personally would opt for a GSP. I have had several. More importantly I have tested, trained,hunted with many, many breeds. Hands down they are the best for me, and what I have witnessed. That being said once that pup/dog comes home no matter what breed it will become a member of the family.

Best of luck with your new pup.
    L

8. N M Mechanical

N M Mechanical Premium Member

Size, temperament, pointing/ flushing, color & budget

9. Rudi's Dad

Rudi's Dad

There are "certain breeders" who breed a lighter boned dog for hunting vs some of the BIG HUSKY Labs around. I suggest digging into that before you select a breeder.

10. birdhntr

birdhntr

55 to 70 for females and 60 to 75 for males and shoulder height of 21.5 to 24.5 inches for a working dog.Anything other than that is a misrepresentation of the breed and breeding of conformation for movement,balance,dexterity and so on.long legs affect all of this and takes away power from the rear legs.