close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Positive Experience with CO on the Split

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by flighthunter, Jan 5, 2018.

1. flighthunter

flighthunter

My cousin and I were hunting Saturday morning. He arrived to spot before me and as we were walking in he said he saw DNR drive by while waiting for me. We hunted for a couple hours and walked to our cars, looked up and see DNR truck near our vehicles. He checked my cousin first, then me. He had a great attitude and didn't give us the feeling he was looking to write tickets. Checked our licenses, shells, and plugs. Didn't rifle through our vehicles or hunting bags. Complimented us on our morning take and let us know how other groups did in the area that he had already checked. Asked for some intel on a group he couldn't access, guessing he waited them out as they were shooting alot. Gave me a warning about my stamp not being signed across it, I signed to the side on the tag it comes on. Let me know it's a misdemeanor and kinda rolled his eyes. Said to have it signed, even if it was just touching a corner, if hunting tomorrow. We were checked and on our way in 5-10 minutes.

I was glad to see him in the area as I've stumbled upon empties and paraphernalia next to empty hulls while hunting in past years.

Only other time I've been checked, they were waiting for me at the boat ramp, guns ready to be drawn.

2. Jerrit Parrish

Jerrit Parrish

The new CO in our area is a great guy. I have been checked more this year than any other and each time they were very polite and professional. Even hounded him a bit on grey area's of the law that we didnt understand. Everyone they have checked has said the same - making a great name for themselves.

3. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

I
    I used to get checked almost weekly by an officer named Ron Pinson around the Harsens area. And this was out on the lake, not at the ramps. After checking out clean every time, he deputized me by giving me his business card with his personal cell # on it, and instructions to call him 24/7 if I knew about any violations. I helped him bust a notorious group of roost shooters that would go out at sunset and shoot until well past dark. He's long retired now...
    Also was checked at Deckers opening day by a - ahem - very masculine woman CO that interrogated me about my marine radio. She believed it was a walkie talkie to alert fellow poachers as we were the only boat with a limit to come in, all 9 ducks worth . Another officer on scene complemented my boat safety and told her to lighten up Francis.
    But the best one was the time I came into Snooks to the DEA waiting for me, with hands up instructions.
    They proceeded to pull up floorboards in my boat looking for dope. I believe one of my rivals on the island made a false report to F with me. Clean and no bust.

4. just ducky

just ducky

I met Ron way back in the dark ages when I hunted Harsens a lot....great guy.

So Paul Harvey...what's "the rest of the story"? Where'd ya hide the dope? LOL

Bertslash likes this.
  5. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

ron pinson was a class act. we used to hunt with him on the moot

6. dankoustas

dankoustas

A couple years ago during the split we had a CO wait 45 minutes until shooting time ended before he came up to us. We saw him waiting about a quarter mile away. I thought that was pretty nice of him.

Bertslash likes this.
  7. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

The OP's experience with that CO is how most of my encounters go, and I am very glad it is that way.

zimmzala likes this.
  8. jwinks

jwinks

Same here. COs are usually very reasonable. Sometimes they are even downright friendly.

zimmzala likes this.
  9. zimmzala

zimmzala Premium Member

Here's my take on it, I've been checked a few times, no matter the season, what I've found is you get what you give. If you are rolling up to him/her or vice versa and you have a smile on your face, rather than a pissed or scared look on your face and treat them like a human being they will do the same. They have a job to do just like you. Remember you walked into their office. They know where the good spots are if you actually talk to them.

Lamarsh likes this.
  10. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

No story. "Someone" informed the police I would be taking delivery of drugs using duck hunting as a cover. As my record is completely clean I question the strong response. I believe it was someone I had a beef with at the time on the island who had a cousin in law enforcement, and they cooked it up. Laughable now pretty scary at the time. Thank god they didn't open up those Mergies...

11. TNL

TNL

You runnin' with the Purples back in the day?

12. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

I’d bet 90% of the bad experiences people have are from butt hurt people filing false reports where the CO roles in with preconceived notions.

13. ShootSkybusters

ShootSkybusters

Cool reads. I've had numerous run ins with COs through the years, & the vast majority have been extremely positive.

My fav - back when my bros and I were in our 20-somethings we were hunting an opening day in SW Mich on heavily hunted state land. It was one of the better openers with actually more than just a woody show for once. We filled full drake limits all the way around, something we still strive for and pride ourselves with achieving these days. We heard pre-hours shooting from one area in particular, and saw waaaay over a 2 man limit of woodies get cracked at by one group in particular who shot like they were a twosome. CO checks us at the launch, sees the mixed drake pile, says "great bag today fellas", doesn't check all the specifics with us though we offered & after chatting for a spell with us he says, "who do you think shot early and do you think they are over?'" We give as best description as we can saying where and when they were shooting, also say that we think they could likely have too many woodies which he nodded at...and then we sit back to watch him work. He hides in cover, comes out in the dark without a flashlight and approaches all parties coming into the launch, which was a lot. Sure enough, after several, one group of 2 comes in quite late with the motherload of woodies...and they don't even have licenses! CO confiscates their boat, gear and guns, and writes them up for countless tickets. Still smile when I think of that day in the marsh and that CO hanging around for those poachers...

Least fav - musky fishing with my bro and a CO boat pulls up with a young trainee and a blonde gal running the show. I had heard horror stories about her from friends in the area and I know that she is true power tripper and likes to find inconsequential fault with law-aiding folks. She spends 45 min going through everything and I mean EVERYTHING during prime fishing time, all in check btw, while the young guy is rolling his eyes in the back of the boat saying that we probably want to get back to casting given that it is getting closer to dark. Last minute on the 3rd look through, she ends up finding a 'small tear' in one of my lifejackets and writes me up for an $80 ticket for damaged/unsafe floatation while the newbie is pleading for her to back off. She didn't last much longer in our area thank God...but boy should she never have made it through training. Still think the state owes me 80 bucks and an hour of primetime fishing time for that one...

14. TSS Caddis

TSS Caddis

Back in the day at Quanicasee, every opening morning 30 minutes into shooting light the feds would blow through in an airboat checking everyone during prime shooting hours. Ridiculous. Catching someone violating should not come at the expense of the every other hunter. Get out at midnight only to spend 15 minutes of prime shooting pulling out licenses etc... only to have them roar over to the next party 100yds away and continue. So for 2 hours you were screwed as they made their way around the marsh.

15. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Mshar walked around with a bag of chips on his shoulder. Had three encounters with him; two unpleasant and one uncomfortable. Funny as the 20+ other times I've been checked have ranged from pleasant to professional to hilarious. So I'm guessing it's not me.