PORTERHOUSE STEAK How to do??????

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by lenray, Nov 29, 2020.

1. toto

toto

As jimbo said Google is your friend. I have seen a recipe or article about cooking a steak in a cast iron pan. All I can really say about cooking is practice, practice, and more practice. Quite honestly cooking isn't all that hard and I love to do it. Just do some research on the computor or go to the book store, figure out what style of food you really like and buy a cookbook, doesn't have to be fancy but as time goes on it gets to be fun.

2. Waif

Waif

3. Cpt.Chaos

Cpt.Chaos

Simple way to get a warm in the center, done on the outside-cheat!

This is a restaurant trick, get a steak about 1” thick, season to your liking. Put it on a baking pan in an oven preheated to 220 for 40 minutes, remove it and wrap it in foil, then cover with a towel or two....the meat is now “resting”. While you wait 10 minutes fir the meat to finish resting either fire up your grill or get that pan hot, like real hot. When the steak has rested 10 minutes grill or pan fry for 45 seconds to a minute on each side, the steak will be a very warm pink center with some good color on the outside.

4. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Yup, scratching will become an issue. I use a cast iron pan all the time with a copper grill mat on the glass. Works just fine.

Stand By and sureshot006 like this.
  5. Fishndude

Fishndude

I'd get a mini Weber grill (Smoky Joe) and a bag of charcoal, and do that thing justice.

DanSS26 and fanrwing like this.
  6. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

This is the first reply you should pay attention to, as well as the copper grill mat for the glass cook top that bucko12pt mentions.
    I would ad a clove or two of crushed garlic, and a sprig of thyme and rosemary to the butter.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  7. D and L

D and L Premium Member

The reverse sear method is my hands down BEST and super easy way to cook a steak to perfect medium rare with no yucky grey band of overcooked meat on the edges of the steak.
    The website Serious Eats is a fantastic source for recipes and how to's that explore the science behind the techniques they use.

Here is a link to the reverse sear method. https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html .
    Here is another link that debunks a lot of myths about cooking steaks, like letting your steaks "come up to temp" on the counter top before cooking.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
    Hope these help! and Serious Eats is a great resource for learning how to cook.

8. D and L

D and L Premium Member

Oops meant to add this photo of my last reverse seared steak. Soooo good. 20201024_175912.jpg

TK81 likes this.
  9. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

Reverse sear for sure. It sounds advanced, but it's much harder to screw up IMO

Key either way is getting a decent instant read thermometer.

TK81 likes this.
  10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

One benefit of cooking for savages that like it gray all the way through...

11. John Hine

John Hine

12. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Maybe put a grate on top

DanSS26 and sureshot006 like this.
  13. spartannation

spartannation

check out America's test kitchen season 17 episode 1. They'll show you how

14. Cpt.Chaos

Cpt.Chaos

My condolences on the loss of your wife, cooking though isn’t really that difficult. If you have cable tv there are tons of cooking shows that can show you very basic to advanced techniques. One of the best gifts my mother gave me was the cookbook “ Joy of Cooking”, it’s literally the Bible in the kitchen.

lenray likes this.
  15. Bob D

Bob D

Cast iron and butter is magical for steak when it works out. I'm not sure about the compatibility with that stove. For my cast iron winter steak, I like to remove the fat cap from the steak. That just inhibits the process. I would sear both sides and put the skillet in a 225 °F oven until the internal temperature reaches a little over 130 °F. Then let rest for another 5-10 minutes. I like putting a pat of butter on it while it rest. Mmmm, butter and beef. Magical

The reverse sear method actually works great on a porterhouse. Many have already described it.

TK81 and DEDGOOSE like this.