PORTERHOUSE STEAK How to do??????

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by lenray, Nov 29, 2020.

1. lenray

lenray

I am alone after 51 years of marriage--starting year 3. Never ever cooked.. Here is what I have to work with..big cast iron pan and an electric cook stove--the stove is glass with heat under the glass.
    Never have grilled or done any other form of cooking. Only looking for info. using the cast iron pan and an electric stove...Medium rare--not cool in the center--juicy and not burnt on the outside....thanks for any help.
    I have been using a stick of butter--not always the best of results....

2. Waif

Waif

i don't have such type stove, but it seemed like cast iron was not too compatible...

Medium rare is not going to be very warm in center. You'll want a heated plate to transfer it too before letting it set a couple minutes to hold juice before slicing. If your plate is cool or cold , your steak will be too.

Butter does not like high heat. You are not searing your steak by high heat to caramelize and trap moisture if you're dodging crispy too. That affects juice/moisture.

Your steak should have enough fat to not cook it with butter. But do after cooking it and plating it , put a pat of butter on top of it!

Do you have a lid for your skillet? A dash of water after heat is reduced (so not to splatter) then lidded and heat bumped up again can steam softer any crispy areas.

You might consider using your skillet to broil a steak in your oven. Just run broil setting/top burner/heating element only.
    Highest position of upper rack will determine how crisp it gets.
    A rack set lower will be closer to what you want. But don't go too low...

I've cooked for a living. And like a good steak cooked M.R..
    I use high heat to sear briefly, flip to sear other side.
    When blood starts to pool , flip it over and pull it in about half the time the first side cooked.
    If you were trying for a medium cooked steak , between a third and half of the pooling would be allowed first. (A couple inches of pooling).

Next time you cook one , poke it with your finger when raw to "feel" the give.
    As you cook it it will get firmer. Poke it before the flip if you want but the timing of the second side and firmness matters more.
    M.R. has quite a bit of give but is starting to feel like a quarter of the give is gone that the raw steak had. You'll get a feel for it.
    It matters if you get a too strong sear , or lower fat steak ,instead of going by time, or blood/moisture pooling...

DanSS26, DEDGOOSE and eucman like this.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Its possible to get a good steak on a cast iron pan.

Let the steak sit out on the counter to get to room temperature. About 1 hour. Sprinkle a little salt on the steak. Heat the pan to cooking temp. Sear the steak on each side. Probably have to flip more often than on a grill... maybe 30 seconds duration before flipping and keep repeating. You can tell medium rare by how it feels (like the soft part of your hand where thumb meets palm) or by instant thermometer (cook to 130F then let it rest to finish). It'll probably take 5 min of cooking or so.

Expect smoke in the house and probably smoke alarms if cooking a steak inside.

DanSS26 and Lumberman like this.
  4. eyepod

eyepod

5. Stand By

Stand By

Try running olive oil on both top and bottom. Then crushed sea salt and fresh ground pepper on top. Cook on high and let the pan get hot. After you throw it on, lift it around the edges with a fork to keep it from sticking initially and it should brown up on the outside. It doesn't take long to get medium rare, don't cook too much on the first side before flipping it.

The olive oil / seasalt/ ground pepper also goes great for seafood on the grill.

Edit- on that note. Watch for a tuna steak at Meijers. They will be 6.99 a pound, but they frequently go on sale at 5.99. prepare it the same way and just toss it in the pan for a minute on each side, raw in the middle and just browned surfaces is preferred. If you allow it to cook all the way through it won't taste any different than a canned tuna. Clean 3-4 potatoes with a green scrub pad under cold water. Chop them up thin and fry in a pan of butter for some american fries on the side. Add a little onion if you like. Maybe some mushrooms.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Jiw275 likes this.
  6. eggfly

eggfly

How ever you decide to cook the steak I encourage you to buy a dogsled thermometer. This takes the guess work out of “is it done”. You can purchase one at Meijer or Walmart. Here is an example from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Read...cooking&qid=1606677350&sr=8-4&tag=googhydr-20

U of M Fan likes this.
  7. jimbo

jimbo

YouTube is your friend, or, at least can be... Sometimes.
    Look up cooking steaks on cast iron

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

eggfly and U of M Fan like this.
  8. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Start the oven at 400 and throw the cast iron pan in. Season the steak with olive oil and salt. When the cast iron pan is hot pull it out and sear one side of the steak, flip it and put everything back in the oven turned down to 350 and cook to desired internal temp

9. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Yup, but once you grill you cannot go back it just isn't the same. Something about the way the meat is cooked by the open flame minus a metallic barrier I am guessing. A small apartment size Weber charcoal grill is dirt cheap and gets the job done.

10. fanrwing

fanrwing

If you check I think you will find that cast iron pans are not recommended for glass top electric stoves. Pan is too thick for the heat to transfer.

11. sureshot006

This doesn't make any sense to me. It may take slightly longer to get to temp but it will definitely get hot enough. Only worry I'd have is scratching.

Oldgrandman and Shoeman like this.
  12. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

It is the scratching of the glass top that is the issue with cast iron. Plenty of frying pans available to use with these stove tops for making everything from steak to anything else.

IMHO, I don't see the good of having T-Bone or Porterhouse unless I can use a grill. Plenty of cheaper cuts that can go in the pan or on the broiler.

13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Steaks at room temp, season liberally.

Put a little olive oil in the pan and get it hot. Like the oil should shimmer and almost smoke. Lay the steak in the pan starting with the side closest to you as it will spatter. Sear one side, then the other.

Take the pan off heat, throw a cube of butter in the pan, when it melts tilt the pan and baste the butter over the steak with a spoon until the steak is almost as done as you want as it will cook for a bit more as it rests.

Let it sit for about 15 minutes to rest.

Enjoy.

And yes, it's gonna smoke a lot.

UBDSLO1 likes this.
  14. fanrwing

fanrwing

Scratching is an issue with a glass top also according to the GE site cast iron takes longer to heat up then the pan holds the heat causing the stove to shut down because the sensors think it is over heating.

sureshot006 likes this.
  15. sureshot006

now this makes sense being a larger mass of metal. It'll still work... I've done it on my glass top with no issues but lots of smoke.

jiggin is livin likes this.