Portable Blind?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by SKUNK, Nov 6, 2008.

1. erodrig4

erodrig4

I have had an Ameristep Doghouse for 7-8 years. Still in great shape, but this year I decided to get a hub style blind. I picked up an Ameristep intimidator about a month ago. Great blind, well constructed and a bit easier and faster to set up and take down that the doghouse. One thing I will say is that the earlier models of the intimidator are junk. I bought one at Dunham's since it was on clearance(was in realtree hardwoods), took it home and set it up, at first it seemed ok, but I wanted to take it down and set it up a few times to get used to it. the 2nd or third time, the straps on the outside where the hubs are, had ripped through the material and pulled the strap through making it tough to fold up. Then after thinking I had pulled them through enough to be able to fold the blind up, I noticed one of the rods had broken. Took it back the next day and decided to go and pick up one of the newer ones in realtree AP camo. It is built a lot better and has leather patches around the straps that keep them from ripping through the material.

2. lccpopo494

lccpopo494

I just bought the Primos/Ground Max ECLIPSE blind. I got a good deal on it and I was excited to set it up. it has the largest dimensions (77x77x70) for the lowest amount of money. So far I have only hunted once out of it, but it seems to be what I wanted. It also makes a nice playhouse for my little girls in the basement. Gonna try it as a ice shanty this winter too. if I can find some kind of screw in tent stakes. only negative is the bag seems to be a little flimsy.

3. skipper34

skipper34

Ron, sounds to me like you've got the bases covered. Hey, I love it when I can share my hunting with all of my kids. You know what, alot of guys refuse to believe this, but I hardly if ever brush my Ameristep blinds in, I just find a spot that will blend it into the background, such as in front of a deadfall or at the base of a small ridge. I think alot of hunters make the mistake of setting them up on high ground, such as on a ridgeline. All this does is let them stick out like a sore thumb. I have always seen deer, even the day that I have set them up, without all the fuss of brushing them in. I say that if it gives the hunter more confidence in his set-up, by all means go ahead and pile brush and limbs on it etc. I have 4 Doghouses and a chair blind. I especially like the chair blind, like I mentioned in my post. I have to find time to add a second strap on the bag so that I can use it like a backpack for carrying it out to the woods. On a different note, my doc gave me the green light to hunt this firearm season after my accident. He says I am a walking miracle that I am not suffering some paralysis, I guess it just wasn't my time to give up the ghost yet. Anyway, enjoy your blinds, your kids, and your hunting this year. Always think safety first.

4. jlcrss

jlcrss

Do you guys have any experience shooting arrows through the shoot thru mesh? Does it affect the flight of the arrows?