close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pork belly burnt ends

Discussion in 'BBQ Recipes' started by boomstick, Dec 20, 2017.

1. boomstick

boomstick

Saw this floating around the web. What an amazing dish.
    Trim your pork belly (PB) top fat off.
    Cube PB into 1 inch cubes.
    Rub with olive oil.
    Season with you favorite BBQ rub . Less than a cup
    Lite dusting of Love dust. (Brown Sugar)
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1513770946.941735.jpg
    I use hickory powder from Butcher Packer but the recipe calls for being smoked for 3 hour.
    I place on racks with pan underneath and bake in an oven for 3.5 hours at 250 degrees.
    Place chucks of PB in pan . Add 1 cup of BBQ sauce, 4 pads of butter and 1/4 cup of honey.
    More Love dust can be added at this time if desired.
    Mix and cover with foil. Bake at 200 for 90 minutes. Lastly uncover PB and let bake at 200 with foil removed for 15 minutes.
    5.5 hrs of cook time. 30 minutes to trim and cut. But it’s all worth it!
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1513771040.579661.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    DEDGOOSE, Sprytle, bobberbill and 6 others like this.
  2. ruger 454

ruger 454

Ha,love dust I like it.

boomstick likes this.

3. JUSTCATCHINUM

JUSTCATCHINUM

Broomstick, looks good. How much hickory powder do you use and where do you get your fresh bellies?
    Thanks

boomstick likes this.
  4. boomstick

boomstick

Thanks. This is the second time I’ve done this recipe. I used a tablespoon of Butcher Packers Hickory seasoning. I’ve been buying them at Costco for $2.99 a pound. Cheaper than brisket.

JUSTCATCHINUM likes this.
  5. bobberbill

bobberbill

Coincidence? I was at Costco today and talked to a guy that picked up a PB and a brisket. We talked smoker talk about the brisket, then he told me how he does the PB. Similar.. I've never tried it, but man...that looks good.

boomstick likes this.
  6. june bugger

june bugger

that really looks awesome

boomstick likes this.
  7. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

Not trying to hijack this thread. Just adding more about porkbelly. It is some wonderful stuff.
    Last monday in that wonderful weather. My SIL brought over a porkbelly he wanted me to smoke. He got it at the BX/selfridge for supper cheap. This is the first time I have gotten a full side of belly with skin.
    I tried to trim off the skin like I have seen other folks do. Just wouldn't work for me. So i cut the belly in half, short wise. Flipped over onto the skin side and filleted just like doing fish. Worked pretty good. I used a 12 and a 6 inch fillet knife.
    Anyway, I smoked the belly's and skins for 7 hrs at 250*. Removed the belly's and drip pans, put the skin back on over the coals. Yep, sure enough, still enough grease coming out of the skin to start a fire. Got that under control. One of the skins burst just like fried cracklins. The other half of skin just wouldn't completely blow up. Only parts. Just kept catching on fire.
    But! everyone say's they are the best! First time ever trying that. The length of the belly whole was just over 29" long.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cracklins
    [​IMG]