Porcupine mountains Trip

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Mipike91, Jul 30, 2020 at 10:10 PM.

1. Mipike91

Mipike91

I’m headed up to the porcupine mountains for the first time ever in a few weeks and was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to get after some brookies or browns! I’ll be staying right down in Ontonagon, never been up to the UP for trout fishing so just trying to have a good time and get on some fish feel free to PM me, not lookin for any spots per say just a stream or too worth trying id love to get out and explore but only have about a day over the week as it’s a family trip! Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Grinnell

Grinnell

Hit the mouth of the presque isle river. Anything could be in there- from brookies to browns, musky, big smallmouth, coho, pinks... Start with little Cleo or #2 spinners. Jointed rapalas in gold/black or perch. All depends on how much water is moving thru. Falls concentrate migratory fish. A little early for silver fish but you never know. Beautiful place to be with or without the rod. Enjoy.

3. Grinnell

Grinnell

4. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

If you go in line and look at the DNR map of trout streams in the Ontonagon area you will find a veritable plethora of waters that hold trout. Most any of those will produce brookies. Finding browns will be a little more challenging. Maybe try the "unmentionable" mentioned above. FM

5. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen

The Ontonagon River is a big system and a little confusing. Much of the western half of it is too warm for Trout - lake sources, and long, un-shaded tribs that stay warm. They look awesome for Trout but alas, no. They can have great fishing; I know a spot near the WI line where you can about catch a warm water fish on every cast.

The eastern half (only one third, really) is excellent for Trout, but is a bit of a drive back south from the town of Ontonagon. Everything can end up in a brown silted flow; the line where that will be depends on how long it has been since it rained. Access can be limited by the deep gorge terrain until you get higher up in the system. The soils in the area are thin over bedrock and the streams are somewhat 'flashy' as a result. That is also true of some of the short systems that flow to Superior west of Ontonagon on the east side of the park. Inside the park might have better stream trout options; haven't tried those myself.

There is a bait shop in town; I have never visited but I am sure they would help get you close to something matching your gear and how you want to fish and current water conditions.

Since "in a few weeks" = 2nd half of August, anywhere river water is entering Superior might have a natural born Chinook hanging around by then. They show up first.

U of M Fan likes this.