Poll: Baiting in Michigan

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by motdean, Sep 25, 2019.

Baiting in Michigan

Poll closed Oct 16, 2019.
  1. I am against baiting under all circumstances.

65 vote(s)
    19.9%
  2. I am for baiting outside of a disease (CWD, bTB) area.

44 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. I am for baiting across the board; Bait in a disease zone will not impact the spread of disease.

142 vote(s)
    43.4%
  4. I am neutral on baiting.

76 vote(s)
    23.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justsayin

Justsayin

and.... PA has proposed removal of MAPR beginning in 2020. Yes, CWD is spreading... it has become a question of how fast it will spread... whether actions help or hinder any measure of control. Choices and consequences.

2. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

I don't know why it's spreading, or if the MAPR's had anything to do with it.

3. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

One could say in 1997 with a statewide antler point restriction on the second tag on a combo license.
    https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/57f2d4

What should be noted this regulation was done statewide without a 66% approval rating, or super majority.

4. RF Pro

RF Pro Banned

Not hogwash.

His quote...."There might be 100 deer sharing the same creek bottom out west."

That is an exception, not the rule. These exceptions aren't the cause of CWD persisting across hundreds or even thousands of square miles.

As to the rest of your meandering, I don't know his motivations for posting or what his future point may be, nor do I care. I can only react based upon what is written.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  5. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Please look up might in the dictionary. It may or may not be the rule depending on what? Habitat, thus habitat is the driving force.

Habitat drives density, in Michigan, out west and in the world.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    motdean, mbrewer and Waif like this.
  6. Waif

Waif

7. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

I've been going out west since about 2004 and in Kansas I have seen that deer cogregate in river bottoms yes as many as a hundred myself. In Montana 30 or more deer in the coulies or breaks all congregated near the alphalfa fields . No matter where it is the deer congregrate and like said alot has to do with habitat and food.

8. poz

poz

If that is true than the contaminated carrot the deer eats on my bait pile, will probably spread to my food plot because that same deer uses both. And when you think about it being my food plots attract and concentrate deer 6 months out of the year compared to my bait, which was out there about 2 weeks a year when it was legal. So my food plot will be spreading disease about 10x more than my bait.
    So maybe they can tax the seed we use for food plots 10x more than bait. I'm sure as a end user you'll have no problem with that.

9. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

Take away apr’s for 15 years and CWD infected deer numbers will be down!

They have had their fun of throphy antler hunting.

They dont eat the meat anyways, they shoot the big buck at butt crack dark and back out till 10 am the next morning.

By that time the coyotes have worked it over good or if it was warm it is bloated to much and they are not goong to eat it.

Just recover throphy antlers and maybe save the cape.

What the hell has deer hunting become?

10. RF Pro

RF Pro Banned

What has it become? Definitely not what you described. Easily the most divisive, nonsensical post I've read since joining this forum. Wow.

11. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Obviously you haven't read enough. There's still some beauties that survived censorship.

12. RF Pro

RF Pro Banned

If they're worse than the above, I'd say you are correct and I missed them. Just a terrible, divisive post.

Dish7 and Craves like this.
  13. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

I have hunted the breaks in eastern Montana for the last 6 years its amazing how many whitetail or mule deer you see pile out of the same small breaks area and out into the alphafa fields every evening nope they don't congregate in large groups. Even better is in the winter when hundreds congregate around bales in the fields near the breaks feeding it should be banned like bait dang ranchers spreading CWD !

14. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

This describes most of the hunting shows . I know alot of hunters that hunt several states a year not for meat but headgear they donate the meat or see above lol

15. mbrewer

mbrewer

Justsayin posted this in the disease forum, aka elephant graveyard, yesterday. Very informative and pertinent to the density v population angle offered up here of late. Check it out. https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.160051

motdean and Tilden Hunter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.