Poll: Baiting in Michigan

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by motdean, Sep 25, 2019.

Baiting in Michigan

Poll closed Oct 16, 2019.
  1. I am against baiting under all circumstances.

65 vote(s)
    19.9%
  2. I am for baiting outside of a disease (CWD, bTB) area.

44 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. I am for baiting across the board; Bait in a disease zone will not impact the spread of disease.

142 vote(s)
    43.4%
  4. I am neutral on baiting.

76 vote(s)
    23.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

I admit I havent looked at satellite views of CWD maps but curious if it's mostly AG where deer are concentrated in wood lots much of the year.

buckguts1970 likes this.
  2. sureshot006

You're right. Only $4 to cross the bridge. For most, it's the extra hours of driving and gas money that cause guys to stay in the LP. Way more than a bag of bait.

3. mbrewer

mbrewer

Not really apples to apples unless you factor in the product of the seed. Any comparison between bait and food plots, as ridiculous as they may be, begins and ends with the assumption that each present risks and that is the only point worth making.

4. swampbuck

swampbuck

Trout King likes this.
  5. Justsayin

Justsayin

You are right, of course. CWD seems to be more of a slow burn disease that begins with some as yet unknown spark... It does seem likely that discovery of hundreds of positives within the first year would indicate a longer term previously undiscovered presence of this disease. Wisconsin and Tennessee both come to mind.

sureshot006 likes this.
  6. sureshot006

It makes sense. 1 deer spreading it infects very few others. But eventually it takes off, almost exponentially.

7. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

In Canada our government trys to control gun violence by regulating the law abiding gun owners and not the criminals. I think its the same for bait . You cant stop the deer from congregating and interacting with each other but you can blame bait and control/ stop it unless as some juristictions do you actually blame the offender (deer ) and try to control them by killing them all lol

8. RF Pro

RF Pro Banned

Depends on what species you are talking about, and what state. Western states are a completely different habitat than Michigan. As is the difference between species. Mule deer disperse vast distances. Whitetail do not. Elk ranges vary on time of year by many miles.

Sure, some habitat holds a few more, but again that isn't the norm. The norm in most cases, is very few deer spread across large areas in extremely small pockets. Desert landscapes and high plains/high desert is not a panacea of deer abundance. Same with mountainous regions of the NW states. You just see them easier in those areas.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  9. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

I have hunted out west a number of times and where I hunted the deer (both mule and whitetail) where congregated on small areas on ranches and not spread out that much and as you state with "is very few deer spread across large areas in extremely small pockets" except the pocket of course are bigger than in local farm type country. Even in heavily dense thick back country like out east or north deer are still somewhat congregated ! The only deer that I have seen that do really disperse apart and are solitary most of the time are moose.

10. RF Pro

RF Pro Banned

Very few deer spread out in multiple small pockets. There's a difference. Poster brewer makes it sound like all deer are congregated and densely packed within river corridors. They aren't. I've hunted 3 western states every year for a decade, not just a time or two. Not that it matters any.

11. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

AMEN

12. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

We use to generally kill deer faster that may have been carring the disease .

It is my opinion that apr’s ignited CWD , what was the talk on CWD 15-20 years ago.

Hunters Edge likes this.
  13. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

PA put their MAPR law into place in 2002. CWD was first discovered there in 2012. They have no state wide baiting and MAPR's continue. The spread of CWD continues.

PWood and Hunters Edge like this.
  14. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Winter kill is not as bad each year as it use to be could be another factor

15. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Hogwash, he wrote one sentence, habitat drives density!!!

He did use one example or experience, but could have given others very visible or experienced in Michigan. One would be once two sections of corn is cut my 1/2 section of woods shows a dramatic increase in deer density. Or he could say that in NLP deer yarded in a cedar swamp for winter in the past once cut deer are not present during that time frame.

Or he could have used the DNR own words why harvest data shown decrease in SLP majority of corn not cut.

If habitat is not a driving force for deer density, why do many hunters improve habitat? I know they improve habitat so the deer stay off their property and stay on the neighbors, yep that must be it.

Trout King and miruss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.