Polarized Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by bill tuccini, Apr 17, 2020.

1. ITTYBITTYKITTY

ITTYBITTYKITTY

Gamekeeper, that sounds like "Blue-Blockers". I wonder if anyone used them? Like a lot of stuff advertised at 2am they were touted to do everything except cure piles. On a slightly more serious note, what color worked best for you?

2. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

They are a brownish orange color.
    Quite thick (shooting protection)

C750E3DA-C4A2-42B9-B14A-40484AEE0881.jpeg
    They are available in many colors.

I would think the all day every day fishermen would have shown some kind of industry wide preference.
    There’s a whole showcase at Cabela’s.

In my case it was prescription bifocals first, then safety, color, and style.

I don’t get the vibe most people here shop that way typically.

Doghouse 5 and Detroitbassist like this.

3. ITTYBITTYKITTY

ITTYBITTYKITTY

For me the decision tree was 1) what choices are available with polarized prescription lenses, 2) which ones fit me comfortably, 3) what colors were available. As it turned out, only dark grey was available in the frames that fit. Good all round color. Not as good in low light as amber or green.

4. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Yes
    I like lined bifocals, and big lenses. Only so many out there.

And don’t let them ******** you, most of these outfits have no desire whatsoever to make a bifocal anything. I wouldn’t be surprised if 2/3 of them purchased the lenses mail order made out of China.
    My kid bought her glasses out of a vending machine in Japan, you just punch in what your prescription is, pick out the frames, and the machine does the rest.

You can’t tell me that these $500 sunglasses companies aren’t doing the same thing.

Downsea and koditten like this.
  5. cdnred

cdnred

Those "Bolle" look very cool and practical. What are the full details of them, model number, color, price, etc.. Bought them thru Cabelas..? I'd be very interested in getting something similar to those..

6. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

I got them at SVS vision in Livonia?
    They had a big display.

7. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

There really aren't any sunglasses companies. Bolle and Maui Jim are still independent. Otherwise there's Luxottica and that's about it. They also own many of the places you get glasses.

As a vertically integrated company, Luxottica designs, manufactures, distributes and retails its eyewear brands, including LensCrafters, Sunglass Hut, Apex by Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, Eyemed vision care plan, and Glasses.com. Its best known brands are Ray-Ban, Persol, Costa Del Mar and Oakley.

8. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder

I am glad I saw this thread.

I lost my Costa's to theft when thieves busted into my truck at Christmastime. Been doing without thinking I really did not need a new pair but then I was out on the water yesterday in the bright sun, first time in a long time, and my eyeballs are suffering today.

Ordered a replacement pair of the Costa's Glass Lenses 580G's, a bit heavy, expensive but there are options, but they are worth it for me so that I can enjoy those rare full bright sun outings that we get so little of here in Michigan.

Here is the link to the pair I ordered (not directly from Costa, got a good price from a place in Tennesee that is a authorized dealer).

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/sunglasses/beach-lifestyle/caballito/CL.html

Regards,
    Crankster

9. mooneyedude

mooneyedude

I have been wearing a pair of Onos with bifocals for the past 8 years I think they were $99 I wear them everywhere with no scratches to date very comfortable to wear all day

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Skinner 2 likes this.
  10. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

Good choice..

11. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Buy once cry once.

12. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

I bought an excellent pair of polarized from Dunham's..
    They are made by UNDER ARMOUR (everything good from them) .
    Right around $108 . Typically around $150 (??)
    The sale price was so good that I purchased two pair .. (boat /truck)
    I've worn BOLLE for years and still love them .

13. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

I wear prescription glasses, with lined bifocals, and a little prism for astigmatism.
    It's not an off the rack thing.

Doghouse 5 likes this.
  14. Doghouse 5

Doghouse 5

Correct.. I read your posts word for word ..(not meant to sound sarcastic)
    You definitely have an excellent pair of sunglasses/ glasses..

15. Zofchak

Zofchak

If you want top performance and don't mind spending the money Costa's are hard to beat. If you want a decent pair of polarized glasses that you won't have to shed a tear over when they end up in the lake or under your foot then I'd recommend the Flying Fisherman brand.