Polarized Sunglasses - Honest Review

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Seabassoutdoors, Apr 13, 2020.

1. UPEsox

UPEsox

Costa 580G, much to my disdain have had several pairs but theres a reason I'm willing to buy more after I do something stupid to lose them. Nothing even compares for seeing a musky follow or spotting steelhead in our dirty north shore streams.

loomis82 and Topshelf like this.
  2. Goosemanimis

Goosemanimis

I have had Oakley and Smith optics in the past. Just purchased Costa in green mirror 580G and absolutely love them. I got a great deal on them going directly through Costa $198 bucks. Will be getting another pair with a different lens when the sale comes back around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Topshelf, loomis82 and UPEsox like this.

3. salmonslammer

salmonslammer

Just bought a pair of costas last year... wish I wouldve done it 35 years ago!

4. Howitzer

Howitzer

I have them all, if you are prior military sign up on GovX or ExpertVoice to get amazing deals on glasses. I also like them all for there own qualities.

Open water all day fishing in the gulf - Dark grey based maui's (Hand's down)
    Great Lakes - Costa's with Grey Lens
    Rivers - Costa's brown-based
    Hunting - Costa's but I am really starting to love Oakley.

6Speed likes this.
  5. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

I have Oakley Prizm and just bought a pair of Costa Corbina 580g in Amber colored lense for stream fishing. Can’t wait to try them out.

UPEsox likes this.
  6. bmoffit

bmoffit

Have a pair of 15 year old Oakleys that are fabulous along with a pair UA that are just as good

7. Howitzer

Howitzer

Costa and Oakley are both owned by Luxottica so the technology is similar, with that said I am becoming an Oakley fan. Years back I had a job moving sailboats long distance in the blue water, we generally moved boats from the Virgin Islands to Bermuda or the east coast so it was days or weeks on the water, and sunglasses were a key piece of equipment at that time Costa or Maui Jim ruled the show.

If I were to give anyone advice about buying sunglasses I would say that finding a pair of Oakleys or Costa's on clearance would be the best option, you can get them easily under $100 if you shop them right and you will never be disappointed. Smith is also an option because they are also owned by Luxottica. Find someone in law enforcement or prior military to get a pair off Govx for you.

U of M Fan likes this.
  8. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I would never recommend the $10 sunglasses. The problem is that any sunglass darkens your view and this causes your pupils to dilate. A dilated pupil lets more UV light into your eye. This is an invitation for cataract formation. Unless you have some really good UV protection in the sunglass lens, you are better off with nothing (squinting and seeing the world through pinpoint pupils) than frying the biological lens of your eyeball due to too much UV coming in through unnaturally dilated pupils. You get that UV protection in the expensive lenses, but not in the cheapies.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

U of M Fan likes this.
  9. Howitzer

Howitzer

Good point, common knowledge is not accurate about tinting because in some cases cheap tinted glasses offer no UV or infrared protection, infrared is not a harmful ray per se but it is an irritant if you are exposed to the bright sunlight all day and wearing glasses but still have a headache or eye irritation it is likely caused by infrared. Today most plastic lens now ar CR39 polycarbonate which does not filter any harmful rays without a UV coating and on cheap glasses that coating is thin, inconsistent or there is not any type of coating at all.

The bottom line is for the price of a tank of gas you can get glasses with good protection and save your eyes while being able to see clearly while fishing. I am posting a link to cheap sunglasses that will fit the bill for those who can't afford a $100 pair of glasses. Another thing I should add is you should NEVER use a pair of glasses bought from a flea market or dime store because they almost always have no UV coatings or film, especially counterfeit glasses, you won't notice that the glasses are ineffective until its too late, think of them as a condom with 1000 tiny holes...

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2014/04/sunglasses-under-30-shades/

U of M Fan likes this.
  10. d_rek

d_rek

Check out the under armor outlet. Can get UA glasses for under $100/pair. I really like mine. Fit my wide head well. Think I paid $50-60 for my pair.

I saw cabelas had “native” brand for similar price. Seemed well made.

I might have paid $300 for a pair of Persol sunglasses once upon a time. I doubt they were worth $50.

Sent from d_mobile

Howitzer likes this.
  11. pfinmi

pfinmi

I have had several pairs of Costas, Maui Jim's, and Natives.. glass lenses and plastic to. Currently I have 3 pairs of mj in different lenses, the wife same thing. We do several offshore ocean trips a year, we sight fish both fresh and salt water, and we also live on a lake so we are very fortunate to spend a good deal of our spare time on the water.

With that said glasses have to match your conditions, bright days, cloudy days, clear water, murky, stained water. I usually carry 2 pair in case conditions change.

We first started with the Costas, tried all of the lenses and they were fantastic, fit great, and looked great. Then came the warranty issues. I'm hard on my equipment, glasses no different. But when you pay north of $200 for something you shouldn't be charged anything to fix a warranty issue. With Costa it's $12!!!! My warranty issue took 3 times to fix. Time and money to ship back and forth..they only pay one way and $36 to fix their problem.

Native glasses are owned by Costa, they are less expensive versions. Same warranty

The MJ line up is not as expansive in the fishing frames. Their lenses are fantastic and well. But it's the customer service that sets them on top for me. They do charge you to fix your mistakes, but they own up to theirs.

Lots of good glasses on the market, don't cheap out you only get one set of eyeballs, that sun reflection off the water is nothing to joke with.

Sharkey likes this.
  12. kaplan

kaplan Premium Member

I have had Costa, Native, Oakley in the past. Dropped the Costas in the ocean last week. Bought some Maui Jim's when I got back to shore. They are sweet. My Costas fogged up way to easy.

13. Macs13

Macs13

I haven't anted up for any of those expensive glasses but I swear by the polarized glasses of Flying Fisherman. I get them at Dunhams in the $20 range. They really show their mettle when sight fishing for bowfin (it's fun to watch them swim their loops while hunting and then plop some juicy cut bluegill ahead of them and watch them decide if they're interested). I've also got a pair of SpiderWire glasses that work great.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

14. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

15. Macs13

Macs13

I don't remember. Once that sticker is peeled, it's knowledge lost to the wind, lol.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app