Polarized Sunglasses - Honest Review

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Seabassoutdoors, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Seabassoutdoors

Seabassoutdoors

Oakley vs Costa vs Cheap local brand.

2. Reel2000

Reel2000

M
    Maui Jim’s all the way .... worth the money and absolutely the best customer service of all time .

kaplan, pfinmi and hiljak102 like this.

3. Grinnell

Grinnell

I’m happy with my Smith (glass). Great customer service as well

Fishndude likes this.
  4. Fishndude

Fishndude

There are tons of price-point options between Oakley/Costs, and "cheap local brands," which aren't actually local.

I have some nice Smith Optics glasses that work well for me. If you want to see better in low light conditions than you ever have, get some polarized glasses with copper-colored lenses.

5. Grinnell

Grinnell

Had some green mirror glasses by field and stream that were amazing for ten bucks as my backup pair wish I remembered the name they were amazing

6. HowlingTrout

HowlingTrout

Costa's for me. I highly recommend glass lenses. I typically look for a pair on sale for around $100 - seems to be a good price point for the quality. One day I'll take the leap and get a pair of Maui Jim's.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Howitzer, UPEsox and Jim_MI like this.
  7. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I have Mauis. I have Costas. I have damn near every lens out there. I have worked and played outdoors my whole life.

The review sections about which fits better on your face are meaningless to anyone who doesn't have your face.

To me the best all around dawn to dusk lenses are
    1) Transitions Drivewear
    They not only change darkness, they change color so they are optimal under a wide variety of lighting conditions. My favorite lenses for variable cloudiness, overcast, etc.
    https://www.transitions.com/en-us/why-transitions/the-technology/drivewear-tech/

2) Serengheti 555nm
    Also great under varied lighting conditions. Very easy on the eyes allows more light in the 555nm wavelength area while filtering out the eyestrain causing high and low frequencies. These come polarized and not, so if you look at them make sure you get polarized.
    https://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/en-us/uv-solar-lens/555nm

3) Maui Jim polarizedplus2 in neutral grey.
    The best lenses for extremely bright lighting conditions, Sunny days with snow on the ground, subtropical sight fishing etc.
    https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/lenspage

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    HowlingTrout likes this.
  8. woodie slayer

woodie slayer

ive got a pair of costa,under armor,and oakley
    i like the costa the best.

9. steve99

steve99

Second the Maui Jim’s, my 4th pair(drop 3 in the lake over the years), finally gonna put a lanyard on it this year. I’ve had several pairs of Oakleys, and several in between. There are no lenses as good as Maui Jim’s imo, they don’t make the flexible titanium ones unfortunately.

Cat Power likes this.
  10. WoundedMinnow

WoundedMinnow Premium Member

I personally have found Smith glass lenses to be the best.

The Smith "Guides Choice" model comes in a variety of great lens options.

cdnred likes this.
  11. ro2

ro2

Costa 580G all the way

UPEsox likes this.
  12. Cat Power

Cat Power

my eyes must be different, I’ve had 2 pairs of these sunglasses , 1 blue, 1 green lenses.

Didn’t like either of them

Maui Jim’s and palagic I like much better. I’m wearing palagic daily now

13. anagranite

anagranite

Costas for me, I tried Maui Jim's but they were the plastic lenses and they scratched up quickly. The Maui Jim's were a lot lighter but I'm not careful enough to have plastic lenses.

I wore cheap sunglasses for years and then read that they can actually be worse for your eyes than not wearing anything. They make you open your pupil but don't stop UV Rays.

14. JoeLansing

JoeLansing

I'm definitely not in this league. I'm 60 and just bought my first polarized sunglasses. Ordered 2 pair of prescription glasses from Zenni. Both with anti-scratch, and anti-reflection. One set 80% grey tint and polarization. So one normal pair of glasses, and one pair polarized sunglasses. $62 out the door including shipping for the 2 pair. So far I like them. And even went fishing with them once, but forgot to compare the water glare difference when using them. Even if they do work, will they vastly increase my hookup percentage on carp, bullheads, and suckers? I dunno. I probably won't get a lot of sponsors if I make a video :)
    - Joe

15. ro2

ro2

They work great for me. I have a pair of oakley polarized prizm. And the costa is better for me. But everyones eyes are different