Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by MuddybootsGB, Jul 4, 2020.
I found a jewelweed soap
I’m itching to find out where I can purchase some Jewelweed soap?
Almost as plentiful as poison ivy
i picked up some poison ivy myself two weeks ago.. still itching like crazy. went to the docs and got some steroids, also had a co-worker suggest getting some of this stuff.
she uses it on her son all the time. i guess he's a magnet for poison ivy
I’ll guarantee that you can find jewelweeds themselves within 20 yards of where you found the poisonous ivy! Nature is funny, she will supply the cure right near where she supplies the poison. I’ve often found the poison ivy by first seeing the jewel weed.
Is anyone immune to poison ivy? I've never had it.
Not me! I can tell you that lol..
if there was.. lets make a vaccine from their blood muahahahahahahahah
Immune is not the word. More like resistant or tolerant.
I never had it until I was 22 or 23 years old and had a couple bad cases of it. I tried store bought ivy dry and other stuff. The only thing that works once you have it are a round of steroids but now washing after getting into works "most" of the time.
As far as bleach, gas, or other home remedies.... I asked my dr about using that stuff and she laughed and said I'd be shocked what people will try on their own before eventually making an appt. She said a degreaser soap like what is being discussed here is the only way to prevent it.
i'm on the roids now.. day 5.. the itching is slowly going away. No where close to what it used to be that's for sure.. the redness is still there though
I used to have trouble with poison ivy/ poison oak but have learned how to minimize getting it. I hope the advice below helps.
1. Wash (Hands arms face neck) as soon as possible and often while in the field. I keep a weed sprayer (used exclusively for washing) filled with water and soap, wash cloth and a towel in atv trailer. Or cooler full of water with a wash cloth. I wipe down several times when scouting, hanging and limbing stands.
2. Change into clean clothes as soon as possible. The oils from the plant can be on your clothes and shoes/boots and laces.
3. Wear gloves and wash gloves when done.
4. If you do get it, ice can provide almost instant but temporary relief. Of course the doctor can provide an awesome shot that helps a lot and a steroid pack of pills. I’ve also used Motrin or benedryll for relief.
I have not had severe case since doing the above.
If I wind up with more than 2 spots or anything bigger than a quarter.... just head straight to the red I care and get a shot....
They try to give me the oral crap but I insist on the shot...
within an hr itch is gone
Within 4 hrs redness is gone.
The only thing left after 2 hrs is where I broke the skin itching it.. which I usually do in the shower making sure it’s ivy and not skeeter bites..
It’s all about how fast you can shower.