PM River claims a life

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by plugger, Aug 1, 2020.

1. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Thursday a friend called to see if I wanted to fish an area we walk into but I was combining wheat and couldn't make it. He went by himself and, after fishing upstream, walked about a mile downstream to an area we often fish. When he got to a hole that is about 12 feet deep he saw a tackle box and some various stuff in a logjam. Thinking he was going to retrieve the tackle he walked out on a log over the deep water but when he looked down he saw a kayak under the water and a headlight shining under the water. Naturally he called 911 and the state police came and saw the scene and he called in the troops. I was kind of surprised that the person was recovered wearing a life jacket. I know from personal experience that getting out of a kayak, while in waders, if something goes wrong can be tough.
    http://www.masoncountypress.com/2020/07/31/body-of-kayaker-recovered-in-pm-river/

Wild Thing likes this.
  2. Ojh

Ojh

Thats awful, poor bastard, nasty way to go. Damn!

3. mdj

mdj

4. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Very sad, be safe out there gents. Life is to short and precious!

Central U.P. and snortwheeze like this.
  5. tincanary

tincanary

That's terrible. Unfortunately, a PFD won't save you from a logjam. Something similar happened to me 6 or 7 years back but I made it out. If you get hung up it can be a very difficult ordeal. Thankfully I was caught by my shirt and managed to rip it free, then I was able to work my way around the logjam and float to shallow water where I could get out. The guys I was with thought I was done for. Be safe out there guys.

6. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Hell of a way to go. Poor guy, RIP.

U of M Fan likes this.
  7. kaplan

kaplan Premium Member

Not much can go right when you are under water in a log jam. Bad stuff.

tincanary likes this.
  8. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Heart attack maybe.

9. june bugger

june bugger

probably for the guy that found him, WOW

10. MEL

MEL Premium Member

Rip dude, rip.

Central U.P. likes this.
  11. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

Once your waders fill up you sink like a stone. Same deal with a kayak. That is horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

tincanary and stickbow shooter like this.
  12. tincanary

tincanary

Yep. If you hit a logjam sideways, the kayak tips then takes on water and down you go. It happens so fast. When I went down it only took a matter of seconds. Kayak filled up, I went down, kayak was sucked out from me scraping my legs pretty bad, next thing I'm under water with my shirt hung up in the wood. If I was hung up by my PFD, I wouldn't be typing out this message right now. I don't think I'd ever experienced anything more unnerving. That experience kept me out of a kayak for a few years.

Central U.P. likes this.
  13. meatfishhunter

meatfishhunter

I was there fishing early kings when I saw the dnr. Loose a boat off a trailer above where motors are permitted. I wentvand helped them get her back on and by the time we pulle the boat out they got the call thst he was found. People dont realize the strength of the current of the pm and how dangerous she can really be. Its sad for sure. I have learned to respect her the hard way myself. Be careful out there guys and girls

Richard Cranium likes this.
  14. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

Sad news for sure. Things can happen fast and sometimes, so randomly. Prayers to the family.

15. Big Skip

Big Skip

Unfortunate. That river has become more dangerous since the tornadoes a couple years ago

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Central U.P. and jeffm80 like this.